BLM building fences along Escalator

olywrestle

Duct Tape
We should be grateful they are letting Hells Gate and escalator stay open for now. But like Bryson said if we aren't careful, they will close everything off completely....

81Ramchargerman

The only thing is... that article says that it is because of the spectators... so it's not as much the users is it? That's the way it's headed though... :-\

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
SLTribArticle said:
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2607289

"The trade-off is that the fence will be constructed and it will be maintained by the users. In exchange, they get the privilege of using The Escalator and Hell's Gate," he said. "As long as they maintain the fence, they maintain the privilege. If this falls into disrepair and the surrounding area is not protected, then the privilege would end."

That pretty much sums it up. If we as a user group don't take the steps necessary to minimize our impact on the land (in this specific case, it has to do with maintaining the fence), we'll lose the opportunity.

Please spread the tread lightly philosophy.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
81Ramchargerman said:
The only thing is... that article says that it is because of the spectators... so it's not as much the users is it? That's the way it's headed though... :-\

Doesn't matter if you stop to watch or are running the trail. We need to stay on it and encourage others to do so as well.

Caleb

crimsonride said:
While we're on the topic, why is butterfield canyon closed? I went up there yesterday and it was blocked off. :mad:

Butterfields is usually closed till april or may...atleast the last couple years it has been. I remember back years ago when you could go up ityear round...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Looks like good management of the area, to me. I like this part: "The damage is not from people driving The Escalator, it's from people gathering to watch." It's great that they realize this. Anyone else catch the name of the author? :rolleyes:

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
skylinerider said:
I agree, I just hope they keep some places open to pass others on the trail.

The trail is now one way only, so there isn't all that much of a reason to pass others on the trail.

Personally I don't like the one way only on this trail, what it has effectively done is extend the boundaries of Sand Flats Recreation Area & make it so that you have to run 3/4 of HR to get to the area behind where the G is painted on the cliff above town.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Many times I have gone in the back way when I was not doing the entire trial. I am not happy about the one way status but according to the article this seems like a permanent deal. Sand Flats wants everyone to pay as well as eliminating the cross traffic. As certain areas gain in popularity there are going to be restrictions placed on them.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Our new club, Moab Friends-For-Wheelin' (not "Moab Friendly 4-Wheeling", or whatever they called us in the article), were the only 4-wheelers who showed up to help build the fencing. (Some of the local Hummer tour guys helped haul in the logs.) We are going back on Wednesday to finish up at Hells Gate.

It actually looks pretty good, and should be effective to keep people off the vegetation. There is still plenty of place to park near Escalator on the slickrock, and the parking area near the entrance to Hells Gate will remain open.

Like it or not, we all need to be gratefull that BLM and Sand Flats is giving us the chance to keep these obstacles open. It would have been much easier and cheaper to just close them.

As far as the one-way traffic thing, I agree that it sucks. It just is a way to get everyone to pay the Sand Flats fee, even though not all of the trail is in the fee area. It is permanent (not just for EJS), and BLM will ticket anyone they catch trying to sneak in the back way. (I saw it happen first hand this weekend!)

Jeff

drtsqrl said:
Our new club, Moab Friends-For-Wheelin' (not "Moab Friendly 4-Wheeling", or whatever they called us in the article), were the only 4-wheelers who showed up to help build the fencing. (Some of the local Hummer tour guys helped haul in the logs.) We are going back on Wednesday to finish up at Hells Gate.

It actually looks pretty good, and should be effective to keep people off the vegetation. There is still plenty of place to park near Escalator on the slickrock, and the parking area near the entrance to Hells Gate will remain open.

Like it or not, we all need to be gratefull that BLM and Sand Flats is giving us the chance to keep these obstacles open. It would have been much easier and cheaper to just close them.

As far as the one-way traffic thing, I agree that it sucks. It just is a way to get everyone to pay the Sand Flats fee, even though not all of the trail is in the fee area. It is permanent (not just for EJS), and BLM will ticket anyone they catch trying to sneak in the back way. (I saw it happen first hand this weekend!)

Jeff

still need help up there if so let me know but i'll have to ride with someone mines still down(as you know why :D ) just let me know.

derek

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
drtsqrl said:
.................As far as the one-way traffic thing, I agree that it sucks. It just is a way to get everyone to pay the Sand Flats fee, even though not all of the trail is in the fee area. It is permanent (not just for EJS), and BLM will ticket anyone they catch trying to sneak in the back way. (I saw it happen first hand this weekend!)

Jeff

If I have a permit/sticker, can I go in the back way or is it one-way only? I don't get a big kick out of the domed slickrock and like to go in the back way up to the tubs and then back out again. I will change my route if necessary. It is way cool that they left the optional obstacles open.