BLM Director Abbey coming to Utah 1/14

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...gpKc3898sen_NHrz_kYAURZwZw5em2hYix2W1EqXSmDyf
This notice JUST hit our inbox only minutes ago. This is as much notice as we could have given! This is a MUST ATTEND meeting!

BLM Director Bob Abbey will attend a public meeting in SLC held by the Governor's Balanced Resource Council. Governor Herbert will also be in attendance. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the New Department of Interior and Bureau of Land Management plan to designate Wild Lands. Please note that this meeting will be open to the public with a question and answer session similar to the Secretary Salazar meeting held last April.

You can be sure that SUWA and others will attempt to STACK the room full of wilderness supporters in an effort to show that Utah citizens want more wilderness protection. We all know this isn't true but perception is everything. If we don't meet and exceed their numbers at this meeting we worry what Director Abbey may think.

We want to invite ALL of our members and everyone that supports USA-ALL to come and participate in this meeting. YOU MUST GET THERE EARLY or you will loose your seat to a SUWA supporter. This may sound extreme but you MUST be there 1 hour early or more. We know this from 1st hand experience this last April. YOU MUST BE EARLY. If you can't arrive early; still come. It will be standing room only after the chairs are filled.

We also want to encourage people to be polite and reasoned. Of course many of us are mad, we are too! But please be respectful at this meeting. Certainly you can be upset, and even ask pointed questions and have strong opinions, but lets not have any scenes that will reflect negatively on our supporters. We will be aggressive and professional and we will take the high road and let the enviros choose their path.

Meeting details are below:
This Week January 2011
Jan 14 -Public meeting W/ Director Abbey Time: 2:00-3:30 PM

Location: 210 Committee Room of the Senate Building directly behind the EAST side of the State capitol Building on the 2nd floor above the cafeteria. Parking is available right in front of this building and on the street on the east side of the capitol complex.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
i like how their doing this while a lot of us will be down in hurricane for crawlfest :rolleyes:

If I was not helping with the USA-All table in St. George I would be bailing on Friday at Crawlfest and coming to St. George after the meeting.

Lets get a good turnout for this event.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah...they coordinated this to coincide with wheeling trips this weekend. Ok.

No, they coordinated it to coincide with the Outdoor Retailers Show in SLC this weekend ;)

The show is flush (tens of thousands) with anti-motorized contingencies from all over the globe. That's not to say they are all anti-motorized, just many of them :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Abbey says they are not creating de facto wildernes, but if the blm is directed to treat areas under consideration as wilderness before the fact, how can that be true?

1993yj

It was encouraging to see that the main room was primarily filled with those who were on our side. I was also encouraged by the stance our elected officials were taking and the questions they were asking. I was not encouraged however by any of Dir. Abbey's answers.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I agree. His slant seems decidely pro- directive, which is decidely in favor wilderness designation.

I'm staying for this road meeting too... dealing w Iron county and rs2477

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Abbey says they are not creating de facto wildernes, but if the blm is directed to treat areas under consideration as wilderness before the fact, how can that be true?
He meant to say they were not creating de jur wilderness as they are creating de facto wilderness. Maybe we should push this point.
A lot of good people there, much better than last time. Does anyone know why Gov. Herbert appointed Ted Wilson as advisor on environmental problems. I guess he figured that with Representative Mike Noel, San Juan County Commissioner Lynn Stevens, and Pat Shea and Kathleen Clarke, former directors of the U.S. Bureau of Land Management for Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush he would have different view points but surely not consensus.

ret32

I didn't enjoy the BLM answers or commentary at all. Very disturbing what their intent is and their rationalization behind it. But I thoroughly enjoyed the comments by the Governor and his Balanced Resource Council.

GO MIKE NOEL!!!