BLM dispersed camping areas closed around Moab?

daveshan

Feeding the Money Pit
One of our club members just came back from Moab and said there are "No Camping" signs up all over some of our favorite camping areas primarily just to the left of the Behind The Rocks trailhead. He looked over by Ken's lake and said that other than the designated campground there are signs all over that area also. Looks like the folks that like to camp are out of luck.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Sorry if this is a repost looked but didn't see anything

daveshan

Feeding the Money Pit
Camped near BTR this spring with a large group, no signs, lots of other campers in the same area. A good number of the club members camped there for Safari also.

Did they just start signing and enforcing it?

ret32

The current restrictions were put in place with the 2008 RMP. For the most part, anything close to the river, paved roads, or high use areas like along the Gemini Bridges Road and the Sevenmile Rim/Monitor & Merrimac area are all closed to disbursed camping. Basically, anything easily accessible is restricted to designated sites. Note that SITLA lands (the blue areas on the map) are exempt from BLM restrictions.

The BLM has a map posted here http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/where_else_can_i_camp.html click on the link toward the bottom of the page for a higher resolution map.

maps.Par.68826.Image.650.542.1.gif

Regardless of signage, please don't disbursed camp in the restricted areas. As a public land user, it is our job to know the regulations and adhere to them whether there are signs up or not. SUWA and/or the BLM will undoubtedly use such actions as justification to attempt to expand the restrictions even further.

Last edited:

daveshan

Feeding the Money Pit
Thanks, that's what I was wondering, exactly when these restrictions were put in place. I agree, don't give anyone more ammo to use against us, I'll make sure the rest of the club knows and abides by the rules.
Thanks again.
Dave