BMW F800 GSA

Caleb

Looks like BMW recently released the F800 GSA. Little taller, little wider, little beefier frame, but most importantly a bit more fuel in the tank. From what I've been reading, about it, looks like an extra $1500 or so. What's everyone's thoughts on it? I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger on an F800 as it is, now this is released and now I'm super tempted. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to see when they might be getting any in.

A little info on it:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/04/2014-bmw-f800gs-adventure-first-look-review-photos-video/

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/enduro/2012/f800gsa/f800gsa_overview.html

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'd LOVE an F800 or a KTM 990. I don't have any experience with either of them but I do know I must have one someday--either one or both I don't care.

Agh just caught myself drooling :D

Caleb

I'm in the same boat, I'd take either. I've always had a thing for the F800 though. Honestly, it's probably due to the series Long Way Round and Long Way Down. I love those shows and they are on 1200GS. The 1200 just seemed TOO big for my taste, but the 800GS seems like a good middle ground.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
We all know what happens when you go to the dealership Caleb... :p

The new GSA looks great, I really like the idea of the F800. It seems very road-friendly and plenty capable on dirt roads, very nice overlap of abilities. My V-Strom, which was a V-Twin, w/ EFI and a 6 speed transmission was the kind of bike you could ride for days at a time, very comfortable at speed. I would imagine the BMW 800 GSA would be similar, yet much more capable in the dirt. The ABS is nice, the 6 gallon tank is perfect... just enough fuel to really get out there, but not so much that it becomes cumbersome.

IMO a 2 cylinder engine makes a huge difference on the road verses a Thumper.

Have you seen this? -
[video=youtube;5uTyAEw5wZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTyAEw5wZ8[/video]

Since they're comparing the 800 to the 690, I think I can weigh in on the 690 aspect. IMO the 690 is more capable in the dirt, but not as smooth on the road as the BMW 800 would be. KTM's work on the 690 seems to be almost experimental, as you well know the EFI is far from perfect. The BMW on the other hand is probably one of the most reliable bike brands out there. I'm a fan of German engineering, they know their vehicles!

BTW.... I *really* want to ride both the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route AND the COBDR this Summer... get that bike! I need someone to ride with! :D

I need to start a thread on the KTM 690 Enduro... at the least, get some info out there and have a place to keep track of my mods.

Samersen

For what its worth, I had a F650 GS for 3 years, I know its different then the F800 but man I loved that bike! Never had any issues with it and very reliable!

Caleb

We all know what happens when you go to the dealership Caleb... :p

The new GSA looks great, I really like the idea of the F800. It seems very road-friendly and plenty capable on dirt roads, very nice overlap of abilities. My V-Strom, which was a V-Twin, w/ EFI and a 6 speed transmission was the kind of bike you could ride for days at a time, very comfortable at speed. I would imagine the BMW 800 GSA would be similar, yet much more capable in the dirt. The ABS is nice, the 6 gallon tank is perfect... just enough fuel to really get out there, but not so much that it becomes cumbersome.

IMO a 2 cylinder engine makes a huge difference on the road verses a Thumper.

Have you seen this? -
[video=youtube;5uTyAEw5wZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTyAEw5wZ8[/video]

Since they're comparing the 800 to the 690, I think I can weigh in on the 690 aspect. IMO the 690 is more capable in the dirt, but not as smooth on the road as the BMW 800 would be. KTM's work on the 690 seems to be almost experimental, as you well know the EFI is far from perfect. The BMW on the other hand is probably one of the most reliable bike brands out there. I'm a fan of German engineering, they know their vehicles!

BTW.... I *really* want to ride both the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route AND the COBDR this Summer... get that bike! I need someone to ride with! :D

I need to start a thread on the KTM 690 Enduro... at the least, get some info out there and have a place to keep track of my mods.

I hadn't seen that yet, thanks. I think I was the one that recommended the 690 to you, so it's definitely on my list of bikes to check out. My concern on it though is it might be too close of a match to my 500. I know the 500 does really good at playing a dual sport while the 690 is a dual sport. I think the 800 would be far less capable off road compared to the 690 and is one of my concerns. However, the ability to eat miles and do it fairly comfortably on the 800 is what appeals to me for a second bike. I also would probably commute to work on it most of the time.

Caleb

For what its worth, I had a F650 GS for 3 years, I know its different then the F800 but man I loved that bike! Never had any issues with it and very reliable!

Thanks, I believe the F650GS and the F800 have the same engine in them so that is good to hear.

Greg

Admin
I hadn't seen that yet, thanks. I think I was the one that recommended the 690 to you, so it's definitely on my list of bikes to check out. My concern on it though is it might be too close of a match to my 500. I know the 500 does really good at playing a dual sport while the 690 is a dual sport. I think the 800 would be far less capable off road compared to the 690 and is one of my concerns. However, the ability to eat miles and do it fairly comfortably on the 800 is what appeals to me for a second bike. I also would probably commute to work on it most of the time.

IIRC, you did! I knew about them, but really started researching them when I decided to let the DR650 go.

If you want to spend some seat time on the 690 before you decide, let me know and we can try make that work. I think you're right on the differences between the BMW 800GSA and the KTM 690 Enduro though. If you want something more road-friendly, the 800 would be the bike.... but don't discount the 690. IMO the 690 is more maneuverable on the road than the 800 would be and IMO is funner on the winding roads and in traffic.

Caleb

Same engine? Man i feel cheated of 150cc's ;)

You weren't cheated anything but the name :D They both have 798cc. The G650GS is only 652cc but the F650GS was a full 798cc. The biggest difference on the F650 and the F800 is the F800 comes with a bit nicer parts (spoked rims vs. cast rims on the 650...stuff like that). They've now changed the F650 in to the F700GS, I think to separate the G650 and the F650 as completely different bike like they are.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If all goes as planned I'll be sitting in one soon :cool: I've been spying the GS for a bit, the new offering was enough to get me serious. On that note, my buddy Scott has been rocking the new water cooled 1200, he has nothing but good to say. RME baja ride?

Greg

Admin
If all goes as planned I'll be sitting in one soon :cool: I've been spying the GS for a bit, the new offering was enough to get me serious. On that note, my buddy Scott has been rocking the new water cooled 1200, he has nothing but good to say.

RME baja ride?

Wow, you too? That would be excellent!

Hell yeah! Baja would be awesome!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wow, you too? That would be excellent!

Hell yeah! Baja would be awesome!

A bunch of my Team Canguro mates ride and we have been discussing baja or Alaska. We may end up racing or pitting for the B1K so bikes wouldn't work but if we go to spectate I hope to do it on 2 wheels.