Bookcliff Loop day ride on the DR650

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I got out this afternoon on the DR650, even though my back is still hurting from a pulled muscle a few weeks ago. This nice weather has been KILLING me, I've been wanting to get out for awhile on the dual sport.

I rode out of Fruita West, on Hwy 6 & 50, to the turnoff for Hay Canyon. I made a quick stop at the Antione Robidoux Inscription at the mouth of the canyon, then started climbing into the Bookcliffs. I picked up the Bookcliff Ridge Road and started making my back East along the ridgeline... it was COLD up there, I'd guess 38* or so? Windy, too! I found my way to San Arroyo and dropped back down towards the valley. I did some exploring on some interesting side roads that ended up going nowhere, but at least I've seen them!

After getting back out of the canyon, I started working my way back thru the desert... taking random roads I've never been on before. One after another, the roads turned for the worse... eventually I stumbled on some sweet desert singletrack! The DR650 was more than a handful on the soft singletrack, but eventually I found a main road which lead to asphalt. 4.5 hours and 125 miles later I was home...

A GPX file of the ride is attached, here are some pics from the trip...

P4080014-L.jpg

P4080017-L.jpg

P4080022-L.jpg

P4080024-XL.jpg

P4080028-L.jpg

P4080033-L.jpg

P4080034-L.jpg

P4080035-L.jpg

P4080039-L.jpg

P4080044-L.jpg

P4080046-XL.jpg

P4080049-L.jpg

P4080050-XL.jpg

P4080052-XL.jpg

Attachments

• BookcliffLoop.gpx
    79.5 KB · Views: 8

GAR

Looks like a fun ride. I'd love to get down there and wonder around.

Are you using a RAM mount for your zumo? How do you like it? Is it wired into the bike's power or are you running off battery? I have a Nuvi 500 that I want to mount. I bought the RAM cradle for it and thinking about making a bracket to mount off the top clamp. Do you use the swivel ball a lot? I was thinking about making mine solid (fixed) mounted but maybe the swivel would be nice.

Greg

Admin
Looks like a fun ride. I'd love to get down there and wonder around.

Are you using a RAM mount for your zumo? How do you like it? Is it wired into the bike's power or are you running off battery? I have a Nuvi 500 that I want to mount. I bought the RAM cradle for it and thinking about making a bracket to mount off the top clamp. Do you use the swivel ball a lot? I was thinking about making mine solid (fixed) mounted but maybe the swivel would be nice.

Sorry about the delay in my reply, between working nights & recent eye surgery, I haven't had much time for the computer.

I'd be happy to show you around, it's a great area for riding!

I am using a Ram mount, I picked up a threaded Ram ball that fit into the old mirror location. My mirrors are now a part of my handguards, so the stock location wasn't being used and was a perfect spot for the Ram mount for the GPS. I like the Zumo, now that it's fixed. I had a problem where it wouldn't stay on.... I replaced the power cord, battery & cradle mount... finally sent it into to Garmin for a warranty repair and they replaced it. My Zumo is wired to the bikes battery, I have to turn it off & on or it would run down the battery. Not a big deal, just have to remember. I use the swivel now & again, it's nice to be able to adjust it as needed. I don't think it's a requirement though. Hope that helps....?

Greg

Admin
Man Greg your trips always make me jealous and want a bike :)

Sorry...? :p

A dual sport is a great way to get outdoors and be OUT in it, being in the elements and everything that comes with that. The changes in the temperature, the smells, etc. It's a great full-body experience. I also like how I can cover a lot of ground quickly and the travel is fairly inexpensive... I used 3 gallons of gas over 125 miles on this ride, pretty affordable compared to taking a 4x4! There are lots of reasons to ride.... if it looks like something you'd enjoy, I'd say give it a go!