Books on finance/investing you've read and would recommend?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Based on my investment thread, @spaggyroe decided to start a spinoff thread about the FIRE movement. In that thread, @Paul R said:

I was given a copy of The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason (which I recommend to anyone!)

Based on that comment, I decided to start this spinoff thread. What books on finance/investing have you read that you would recommend to others? I spent 2020 reading a variety of books on the topic, so I already had the idea to start a thread like this. I thank Paul for motivating me to finally make it happen.

I, too, have read The Richest Man in Babylon and would recommend it. For those who haven't read it, its author takes the concepts of saving, investing, etc and presents them in a simplified story format. One fellow investor said this book ought to be standard bedtime reading for children everywhere, and I completely agree. Reading this book at a young age--or any age, actually--can plant the seeds to lead one to make good financial choices throughout their life. This book doesn't form an 'action plan' or give you any specific step-by-step instructions; instead, it simply helps you develop the underlying philosophy of financial responsibility.

MONEY: Master the Game by Tony Robbins. This is a big book. Tony is a motivational speaker, and you can tell--this book constantly tries to excite you through story after story on every topic, throughout every chapter. It is almost tiring to read, but it is chock full of excellent information. Unlike George Clason's book above, this one is filled with specific ideas and instructions on how to build a financial future for yourself and your family. Tony is a proponent of investing via index funds, and that's what this books primarily instructs you to do.

The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. Almost ironically, this was the next book I read after Tony's book above. Overall, this one carries the same message... except it is much more concise. It is written in a very light, approachable style and is constantly sprinkled with humor throughout. This book came about when JL began writing a series of blog posts addressed to his young daughter, instructing her to avoid her father's financial mistakes in life and instead make good choices which lead to financial success. After a lot of prodding from various readers around the globe, JL gathered these posts, organized and expanded them, and released them in book form. And when this book's title says The Simple Path, it means it--JL is a big fan of simple, straightforward index fund investing and the success it brings over time. Immediately after finishing this book, I read it again in its entirety. After that, I went back and re-read numerous sections and chapters. I keep coming back to this book, and I would definitely suggest it to anyone. (I even bought one and gifted it to a co-worker.)

One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch. I admit it: I love Peter Lynch. He's smart enough to fully understand the stock market, yet he is completely down to Earth and not afraid to admit his failures. His track record as the Magellan mutual fund manager (where he generated an average annual return of 29% from 1977 through 1990, blowing away the S&P500) speaks for itself. In this book, he repeatedly demonstrates that any average Joe has the ability to make smart stock choices if they are simply willing to put in the effort and do some research before they spend their money buying shares. Indeed, he feels the average individual has a number of advantages over Wall Street fund managers, and he'll explain each and every one to you very clearly. If you're not a fan of index investing--or you just want to 'hit it big' with a few indivdual stocks--this is definitely the book for you.

Anyway, these four financial books are the best ones I've read on the subject, and the ones I would recommend most heartily to anyone interested in learning more on the topic. What other boooks have you guys read that you would recommend to others?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
x2 for MONEY: Master the Game by Tony Robbins

That book helped give me a lot of guidance getting started with investing and gaining knowledge.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki.

That along with "The Millionaire Next Door" changed my way of thinking. Watching Caleb apply Dave Ramsey concepts a few years ago was quite eye opening as well. I'm not quite uber Ramsey guy but find a lot of truth to what he says. I guess I'm just not quite the zealot he is?

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
I can't agree more about The Richest man of babylon. Great ideas! Even though it's not a book. Mr. Money mustache has a website that I have read from front to back. It's a funny read, but it also challenge's your way of thinking, some of his ideas would never work for me, but others have kicked ass, and I follow them every year! Check it out.

Paul R

Watching Caleb apply Dave Ramsey concepts a few years ago was quite eye opening as well. I'm not quite uber Ramsey guy but find a lot of truth to what he says. I guess I'm just not quite the zealot he is?
I really like the Dave Ramsey concepts but also don't take it to the extreme either. He does have some great principles though and I have enjoyed his books.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I love The Simple Path To Wealth and have read it several times. This has been one of my favorite finance book.

The millionaire next door was also good.

I read the total money makeover by Dave Ramsey years ago. It has some good principles for ground level financial info. Very basic stuff. I’ve bought a few copies for family, and a co-worker who struggled with the basics.

I actually just started reading Your Money Or Your Life by Vicki Robin. I don’t have an opinion on it yet.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I honestly haven't read a business related book in probably 15 years, but the ones that stuck with me... They are more philosophy based as opposed to instructional which is/was more my speed.

Walden - HDT

The wealth of nations - Adam Smith

Das Kapital - Marx

The leisure class - Veblan

The gospel of wealth - Carnegie

Scientific management - Frederick Taylor

Last edited:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I somehow forgot to mention, Minutes Not Money by Todd Cook. I personally know Todd, and he has a thought provoking view on finance that I think would resonate with a lot of RME-ers

Reactions: DAA

comingdown

Stop acting rich and the millionaire next door. Both are not exciting and on audible could put you to sleep, at least the second time around, but full of thought provoking ideas about finance. I’ve read richest man in Babylon. Interesting but pretty basic principles and common sense which I guess is not that common anymore. I also love Dave Ramsey. He is correct but super hardcore. I try to follow everything he says but I’m not perfect and don’t shame myself for it. I have a truck payment and a house payment. I paid off mine and my wife’s student loans and my wife’s car last year. I took out a 2 year loan on my truck and pay extra but that wouldn’t fly with Dave but I’m okay with it. Not saying he’s wrong by any means. I think in another life I’d be a chef or a financial nerd for a job rather then a low down dirty construction worker. Oh well, it pays the bills.

mbryson

Supporting Member
.... I also love Dave Ramsey. He is correct but super hardcore. I try to follow everything he says but I’m not perfect and don’t shame myself for it. ....

The hardcore is pretty hardcore. I guess if you can do it, do it. Following the principles he teaches and applying them can get someone a LONG ways even if they don't go all the way into Dave.

Those of you that are LDS (and those that aren't--don't get all converted on that alone or anything) I'd encourage you to take the Self Reliance-Personal Finance. It's like a sensible Dave Ramsey version in my opinion. It's not a welfare program like our new ward thinks it is. It's for anyone that wants to better that part of their lives (there are 4 other subjects one could look up if they are interested) .The only thing a non-LDS person wouldn't want to follow would be the tithing piece of that. However, it would be good to contribute to a good solid charity of your choice? That'd keep in almost lock step with the 12 week program. Before we moved, Marnie and I had facilitated 4-5 of these groups. There were varying degrees of success but it was 100% related to how you took the advice. If people followed the plan, they made MASSIVE changes in their lives (not just finance, marriages were better because the finances weren't ruling the roost, they were just "calmer" people after getting a handle on things in the financial lives). If they kind of did, but didn't commit, it didn't do much for them.

I think if you have a plan, whatever it is, that makes sense to you and stick to it, you'll reach your goal. Hopefully all can do it!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The hardcore is pretty hardcore. I guess if you can do it, do it. Following the principles he teaches and applying them can get someone a LONG ways even if they don't go all the way into Dave.

Those of you that are LDS (and those that aren't--don't get all converted on that alone or anything) I'd encourage you to take the Self Reliance-Personal Finance. It's like a sensible Dave Ramsey version in my opinion. It's not a welfare program like our new ward thinks it is. It's for anyone that wants to better that part of their lives (there are 4 other subjects one could look up if they are interested) .The only thing a non-LDS person wouldn't want to follow would be the tithing piece of that. However, it would be good to contribute to a good solid charity of your choice? That'd keep in almost lock step with the 12 week program. Before we moved, Marnie and I had facilitated 4-5 of these groups. There were varying degrees of success but it was 100% related to how you took the advice. If people followed the plan, they made MASSIVE changes in their lives (not just finance, marriages were better because the finances weren't ruling the roost, they were just "calmer" people after getting a handle on things in the financial lives). If they kind of did, but didn't commit, it didn't do much for them.

I think if you have a plan, whatever it is, that makes sense to you and stick to it, you'll reach your goal. Hopefully all can do it!
X2. We were already in good financial standing when we took the course but it was still helpful and honestly we were able to be an example for others in our group that needed help

mbryson

Supporting Member
X2. We were already in good financial standing when we took the course but it was still helpful and honestly we were able to be an example for others in our group that needed help

A good diverse group has had WAY more success from my perspective than a group that just needs help. Diversity can help people see things different ways but in a financial situation, the people that “have” talking and working with the “have nots” was really powerful. (Something to be learned there for other arenas for sure?)