General Tech Brake line Q

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So my FJ55 has a somewhat old trailer brake controler mounted under the dashboard. It leaks brake fluid and I have zero use for it, other than keeping the brake fluid fresh of course.

Will pulling this off the brake system have much, if any affect on the brake system? Can it just be capped at the 'T' connection under the hood and removed? I'm tired of the floor covered in brake fluid..

Anyone want a trailer brake controler? $2

Here's the control box under the dash

a53b5d8c.jpg

Here's the connection under the hood

744d6b85.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I pulled the trailer controller box out late last night. When I took the box apart it had 'JUN 1975' stamped on the inside, but when I wiped the oil/grease away the date went with it. Judging by what I saw, that controller has been in there awhile!

I'm picking up a cap for it today.

4x4_Welder

Replace that chunk of line. Compression fittings are not legal for use in a road-going vehicle. They are typically good for 1000psi, brake system can run upwards of 3000psi.
In the event of an accident, you could be found at fault due to having non-DOT approved components in your brake system.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Replace that chunk of line. Compression fittings are not legal for use in a road-going vehicle. They are typically good for 1000psi, brake system can run upwards of 3000psi.
In the event of an accident, you could be found at fault due to having non-DOT approved components in your brake system.

You need to just sit down and shut the hell up for a second. :p I don't know what a "compression fitting" is, and if it were not DOT approved, wouldn't EVCO cover their ass by saying so? Either way, I highly doubt my brakes have 3000psi, it's a 1974 Land Cruiser... It leaks from every corner.

Besides, "in the event of an accident" doesn't fly with me. I'm a precision driver. If I've run you over, off the road, smashed your vehicle etc etc, it's because I meant to. That, and you shouldn't have been in front of me at that time.

What do you mean specifically by, 'that chunk of line' as well? Do you understand what i've done here? Just curious.

4x4_Welder

Compression fitting:
compression_fitting_3.jpg

The double flare in illustration B is what you need to have:
image8fq.jpg

This needs to be steel tube, and is the US standard. Japanese vehicles use a variant, while most European vehicles use another variant, but in the end they are all double flare lines and the only thing legally allowed on a vehicle.
Compression fittings and copper line used to be ok, but were outlawed in the 50s. Now I have had a couple truck bed trailers that were had the brakes rigged up with compression fittings, one even just had a run of 1/4" copper tube straight from the MC to the rear axle, no hose or even any support, but then that's just a trailer.
As far as Evco, well, the House of Hose isn't an automotive supply, and isn't there to consult on what's legal/up to code/smart. You ask for it, they hand it over.
What I mean by "that chunk of line" is that you should cut back about 1" downstream of that junction, put on a new nut and double flare the line, then add a new chunk of line from that point up to the MC with the appropriate fitting on the MC end.
Insurance companies are in business to make money, so anything they can find to not have to hand out money they will use. Even if it is a trail-use only vehicle, it's not too bright to go out with compromised brakes. Fix it before your next ride is on a chopper-