brake matters for the xj

re-jive

Ladies ( not likely ) and gentelmen i'm wondering if i can adjust how my brake pedel feels. I have a 90' cherokee and the pedel is just way too soft for comfort. I've changed the pads and added fluid but no luck there. I'm assuming there is some kind of cable or something but i have no clue. Anyone have any thoughts? -jeremy- :confused: :)

JoeT

Brake Booster. Do you have ABS? You can change out your brake booster to a WJ's, big dual diaphram stop on a dime unit. :eek:

JF1

When the brake pedal on my '90 had a lot of travel, it usually meant my rear brakes needed adjusted. Pull your drums off and and make sure the adjuster (the star wheel looking thing) is properly adjusted. I set it so the drums have just a bit of drag when rotating by hand.
Do a good brake bleed and you should be set.
My '90 stops on a dime even with 31" tires.

re-jive

JF1 said:
When the brake pedal on my '90 had a lot of travel, it usually meant my rear brakes needed adjusted. Pull your drums off and and make sure the adjuster (the star wheel looking thing) is properly adjusted. I set it so the drums have just a bit of drag when rotating by hand.

I have anti-lock front brakes, but i think when you have drums those aren't protected from locking. Anyway i was wondering if bleeding the system fixed your problem or if you actually had to adjust the rear brakes. I know i have to change the shoes back there anyway and i even have the parts just sitting around, but i don't want to be going into a skid all the time.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
re-jive said:
I have anti-lock front brakes, but i think when you have drums those aren't protected from locking. Anyway i was wondering if bleeding the system fixed your problem or if you actually had to adjust the rear brakes. I know i have to change the shoes back there anyway and i even have the parts just sitting around, but i don't want to be going into a skid all the time.

My '91 (I think it's the same Bendix ABS system as yours) had tone rings on the D35 shafts. The ABS was modulated to the rear also. Mine's a ***** to bleed and takes a while and lots of fluid. There's about 5-6 lines that you need to bleed from the master cylinder out (there's one that carries fluid to the pump that you bleed first, bleed it at the pump (just loosen the line), bleed the return line from the pump at the master cyl., then there's a third line at the master cyl. that I bleed, then move on to the pass rear, drivers rear, pass front and finally the drivers front. I've usually used at least a quart of fluid and have to monitor it constantly while someone knowledgeable is manning the brake pedal for you.

keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times, keep your lap belts on and have fun.........{oh wait, that's something else:D}

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
JF1 said:

That's the solution to your problem right there.... adjust your rear brakes (change the shoes, if needed) and your pedal will fell like it should.

JF1

My '90 doesn't have abs so can't help you there. Adjusting the rear brakes was the key to getting the pedal feel back.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
JF1 said:
My '90 doesn't have abs so can't help you there. Adjusting the rear brakes was the key to getting the pedal feel back.

I'd adjust the rears BEFORE going through the bleeding pain if you don't need to. If you have a mushy pedal, go for the brake bleeding. If you're just missing power, I'd adjust the rear brakes as stated before in this thread.

re-jive

bleeding

mbryson said:
My '91 (I think it's the same Bendix ABS system as yours) had tone rings on the D35 shafts. The ABS was modulated to the rear also. Mine's a ***** to bleed and takes a while and lots of fluid. There's about 5-6 lines that you need to bleed from the master cylinder out (there's one that carries fluid to the pump that you bleed first, bleed it at the pump (just loosen the line), bleed the return line from the pump at the master cyl., then there's a third line at the master cyl. that I bleed, then move on to the pass rear, drivers rear, pass front and finally the drivers front. I've usually used at least a quart of fluid and have to monitor it constantly while someone knowledgeable is manning the brake pedal for you.

keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times, keep your lap belts on and have fun.........{oh wait, that's something else:D}

my god man........%#@* that, i'll just try adjusting and changing the shoes. I got a head ache just reading about all this but thanks for all the help everyone.

BigfootXJ

Do what I did its the easiest.
1) Buy a non-ABS brake Booster
2) Rip out all the ABS crap!!
3) Install new booster
4) Hook up all the brake lines
5) Done!! got a better braking system

The best thing I've done to my XJ
Stops 35s with ease