Broken axle in the middle of nowhere???

fishfinder462

I'm fairly new to the crawling scene and one question ive wondered the whole time is what you do if you cant limp away from it ie...broken axle, smashed differental and what not....Ive read alot on here on what to do for somewhat "minor" repairs but what about when the sh!t hits the fan and towing it isnt even really an option. Any help would be awsome.:confused: :confused: :ugh: :eek: :sick:

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Spare shafts if your worried.
Iv'e never heard of a smashed diff. :eek:
Would like to see what that looks like though. (As long as it was'nt mine).:D

"Is"towing always an option? There's some trails i could'nt imagine atleast a dually tow truck getting to.

notajeep

Just me
Towing as in an offical tow truck? That is way different than a strap attached to Meat's poo pipe.
Worst trail break I had was a pinion shaft sheared off in the middle of metal masher a few years back.
Sometimes it sucks, but a major trail break means a major trail wrench party. I had to pull both rear tires, shafts, rear driveshaft, third member, remove the pinion gear, trashed bearing parts, remove crushed rear aluminiuliinun blocks and put it all back togeather minus the pinion gear, and come all the way back to Moab in front wheel drive.
I think that 95% of time rigs are towable and or fixable, at least enough to get off the trail.
That would be 100% if it were not for the stupid jeeps and their steering boxes.
Dan

Meat_

Banned
You mean when something like this happens?

12Xpandoaxle.jpg

There are a few things you can do

dana35.jpg
dana35tree4.jpg

brentDSC04511.jpg

DSCN2270.jpg

dana35tree3.jpg

IMAG0055.JPG

With a cad front end you are pretty much screwed if you hurt the stub and don't have a replacement. With normal hubs you can take out the shaft and drive on it, but if you take out the shaft (stub) on a cad this tends to happen

fall%20trail%20ride%20111205%20004.jpg

Meat_

Banned
There are some breaks you just cannot fix, you need to be prepared to ride out with someone else, walk or wait for rescue then return and fix/recover your rig... that's just the nature of the beast.

Spare shafts if your worried.
Iv'e never heard of a smashed diff. :eek:
Would like to see what that looks like though. (As long as it was'nt mine).:D

"Is"towing always an option? There's some trails i could'nt imagine atleast a dually tow truck getting to.
Diff's tend to gernade more than anything,
briansmit.jpg

d35carrierexplosion.jpg

but if you don't have armor on it (a armored diff cover) you can smash your ring gear on a rock.
raphaelDana35.jpg

...That is way different than a strap attached to Meat's poo pipe...
:rofl: I don't even notice Jeeps when they are dragging along behind me.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I was with a guy one time that his front axle shafts busted and his rear nine inch grenaded popping his brand new ssr's in the rear on metal masher, that was a long tow out.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
this is my experience on metal masher. the steering box bolts broke. one of the repair attempts ripped out the tranny cooler lines. this all happened at the foot of rock chucker. the tow truck was the best way for us to get back to the trailer.
[YOUTUBE]3eAhcaZSy70[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAhcaZSy70

the ride in and back out again in the tow truck was more exciting than anything we had done all weekend.

Attachments

• broken.JPG
    broken.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Carry as many tools as you can to fix what you think/know will break, carry all the spares of can, even if they are at the truck. I carry 4 shafts, I have only ever broke one, and I didn't fix it on the trail. I broke down in delta and drove down a tight road-trail to get it on my trailer. I smashed my tierod on the superduty on the way out. Oh and just saying you know what will break on your rig and can hear it, isn't a good excuse-_- ;)

Seth

These go to 11
this is my experience on metal masher. the steering box bolts broke.

the ride in and back out again in the tow truck was more exciting than anything we had done all weekend.

I am glad too see I am not the only one that has had to do this.

I broke the box in the Hot Tub while we were out on the trail alone. So we hiked back to the truck (not as far as you think) and left it for the night. Went back in the morning and drilled, tapped, wrenched everything back to perfect. Drove up the hill and tried to turn left and sheered the thing again.

Bad box, saturday night no replacements anywhere (kinda nice you can call for parts on Hells Revenge) so "who ya gunna call?" AAA of course. Ever been down the whale's tail on the back of a wrecker? Of course not... I have never been so freaked out. My seat had a mohawk. 3 hours later we were of the trail and I had all the local dish.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
if you can't fix it leave it and ride out with someone else.

If you're by yourself you better have the means to walk out or contact someone or else Darwin is going to take another prize.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
here's a cool story with pics too...

3/4 TON TOY from 'WHEELINADDICT.COM' said:
well, it started out much like any other wheeling trip, bunch of friends getting together to have some fun.

anyway, we got up there saturday about 1 unloaded all the rigs and hit the trail, i (tan yoda tow truck) made it about 200ft when i noticed smoke coming from my front left hub. now you have to understand the night before at 11pm i installed my new 'Black Max' chromo shafts and CTMs, to say the least they were expensive) anyway back to the story. so, i head back to camp with mikie from MPs customs and tear down the front hub, axle, spindle etc. so turns out that my long side inner shaft was about 3/8th of an inch too long, so here we are looking for a grinder and a generator getting ready to cut down my new shafts, and we did. too 3/8th on and inch off the splines, flapper disced it smooth and beveled the edge, it damn near looked stock when i was down, i am very proud of it actually. so we slam it all back in there and hit the trail about 1.5 hours behind the rest of the group. we are headed down the trail when we come to the squeeze to find the buggy being winched out. . . .hmmmmm, thats not right?. find out the output on the tranny let go about 10 min before we got there and hes dead in the water. well, damn, im thinking there foes my wheeling this weekend. anyway we hook up the buggy to the 4 runner and start heading back to camp around 6pm knowing it was going to be a long night. . . very long night. anyway, im looking around and mike (the owner of the buggy is no where to be seen, while we are winching out his buggy. . . i was thinking that there was something wrong with that picture, but everyone was just ready to hammer down and get it out of there so i kept quiet for a lil while. anyway, we make it about 1/4 mile and blow a bead on the buggy, we get it back on at about dark and keep going into the night, at about 930 we had some miscommunication and ended up ripping the right front wheel off the buggy and blowing a hydro line at the same time. note to self, go and whoa sound too much alike to be using in a recovery situation. so we get the wheel back on, and i use the work on loosely, 3 lugs barely on. and JB weld the hydro line back together, at this time its about 11 and about 45* outside and its going to take hours for the JB to set up so we shoot the **** for about another hour and end up wrapping the fitting and JB weld in some high pressure tape and call er good. meanwhile mike, the owner of the buggy showed back up when we blew to bead earlier, (he drove another guys rig to camp with all the wimmins for the night, not too bad, but why couldnt somone else have down that??) anyway, now, as we are fixing the hydro line he decides he needs a ciggarette and starts walking to camp. . . WTF?? he just left his buggy for us to pull out of fordyce at midnight for a cigarrette? im pissed, but i keep my cool. . . for a llil while. anyway, we hit the trail again and make it about 500 yds when the wheel falls off again and we loose the other hydro line, now im pissed, i say f*** it leave it on the trail im outta here, and start to drive around the buggy, but i cant make it, so we all calm down a little and decide that since the owner is not here that we are tired and are leaving the buggy overnight. we get it off the trail and head back to camp to find the owner sitting next to the fire drinking a beer. . . i said f*** it and went to bed to cool off its like 1am.

get up at 10 and decide the only way its coming out is to piggyback it out. so i man up and say ill do it as long as i get a new bed and he pays for anything that breaks on the way out. so from there you can figure it out by the pics. so turns out brians tow rig blew up on the way there so he drove the scout from rough and ready to the trail head, so we load the scout on my trailer since i was on the tripple axle trailer with the buggy still humpin me. all i got to say is that scout is HEAVY!!! #6500 trail ready easily more. anyway, we make it back to rough and ready where brian hops back in his towrig and hammers down the road to see how far he cam make it. turns out he made it almost to oroville where it fianlly had enough and wuit on him. so we all catch up with him, unload the scout off my trailer, load mikies 4runner onto mine, winch his crewcab long bad chevy onto mikies trailer with inches to spare and keep on going. made it home and went to bed haha.

but its all good i get a new bed, new rear window, new grille, new headlight and some other stuff, so whatever.. . . anyway, everyone is still friends and were good to go.

thanks to brian (scout254) for being there with every recovery tool you could ever use, he was a huge part of getting the buggy out. and everyone else that helped, and was pacient waiting behind us as we headed out.

all in all, very little carnage cash wise, but what i *****.

Callen

-Jason

Attachments

• P9160037.jpeg
    P9160037.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P9170051.jpeg
    P9170051.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P9170067.jpeg
    P9170067.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 21