Building a practice/endurocross course?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been considering building a small riding course on my property for riding the dirtbike on, something to practice and improve my technical riding skills with. It wouldn't be anything crazy, but I would love to have a few bigger logs to practice riding over, perhaps a couple rocks and a few other minor obstacles. Anyone else thought about or even better, done something similar?

It wouldn't quite be a full endurocross course, just a handful of obstacles to play on and practice with. What would you like to have to play on?

I have access to old railroad ties, so there's lots of possibilities there. :busted:

Caleb

Check out the Endurocross practice courses, that sounds like exactly what you are looking for. It would be fun.

Greg

Admin
I got bored today, picked up some used RR ties from work and found a perfectly sized log from my friend Jeff... thanks Jeff!!

I want the left side to be rideable both ways, with some effort. On the right is a balance beam, using a long switch tie.

It all needs some work securing the pieces in place, but it's a start. :greg:

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

Greg

Admin
Check out the Endurocross practice courses, that sounds like exactly what you are looking for. It would be fun.

I just need a couple huge, old tires that I can bury in the ground! Toss in a rock section and some telephone poles and I'll have my own Endurocross course! :rofl:

I really just want something to play on... and I think this is a good start.

Taco4life

This was my idea, looks like you have a good start. FYI large tires are pretty easy to come by for free. Tire places are always looking to get rid of old sets. We pick up a few of them every few years for our ranch to act as feeders. If you are interested I can give you a few places I know of but they are in Provo and Logan. Any large tire shop should have some they will give you though.

Greg

Admin
I don't know how serious I want to get with the tires, they'd be fun but I think my wife would want to kill me it I started dragging 8' tall tires out to our property. :rofl: Thanks for the info though!

sixstringsteve

that looks like a blast. I'll bet your riding skill will greatly increase by being able to practice on that stuff. I'm betting it eventually leads to you buying a trials bike :D

Greg

Admin
that looks like a blast. I'll bet your riding skill will greatly increase by being able to practice on that stuff. I'm betting it eventually leads to you buying a trials bike :D

I hope I can improve, I need all the help I can get. I really want to work on my clutching skills and lofting the front end just enough to clear obstacles.

I'm not sure about a trials bike, but after seeing Caleb's KTM 300 EXC and riding Vons KTM 250, it does have me wondering about a smaller, lighter bike. The WR450 isn't that heavy, but it's still a big, powerful bike for technical riding and my lack of skills.

The only bad part is that our property is about 15 min away from our house, so it will take some effort to get out there to ride. Oh well, at least its there when I'm ready.

Greg

Admin
Alright, I think it's time for Endurocross practice course, Version 2.0! Our new home has about 3/4 of an acre out back that's just begging to be used for something fun. There are some large telephone poles on the property, I have access to a wire spool and plenty of RR ties. I haven't started anything, but was riding around the other day and getting some ideas. I'm sure the neighbors will love me, there are houses all around. :D I'll try to be nice.

I found this, thought it had some great ideas! - http://www.tarafrost.com/galleries/Obstacle_Course.html

I'll update this as it comes together.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My grandparents have 17 acres up in the Uintahs about 2.5 hours from me. Ive been dreaming about building a enduro cross track thru the trees. Wish I had a back hoe and free time

STAG

On my grind
Wire spools would be awesome :thumbs:

Another cool thing would be railroad ties setup linear (parallel to the bike) that you have to ride along like a tight rope. Maybe 18' (3 lengths of RR ties?)

Greg

Admin
Felt like getting it started this evening, it's not much... but I spent a good 45 min in the back yard riding, practicing and playing. :D It's rad to fire up the bike, toss on some gear and go ride in the backyard. :greg:

I'll keep adding to the 'course' little by little. The ramp is secured to the log with a couple of lags. The log is fun for practicing launching off.... preload the bike, try to put the front tire where it hit's the top of the log and launches the bike up & forward and the rear tire bounces off the log. The ramp is fun to practice balancing and seat bouncing off from. Lots of fun!

20140317_184435_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20140317_184450_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg