Building portable water storage with an integrated pump & battery.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I have been thinking about this for some time, a few years ago I built an Overland Utility Trailer and the best addition was the 20 gallon water tank, the electric pump, car battery and an additional propane powered hot water heater. On extended camping trips it was so nice to have a good sized supply of hot water for showering, cleaning up, etc.

I've been thinking about having the same options, without hauling the trailer around. I'd like to build a 'skid' that had a frame, securing the water tank, pump & battery all to the same unit, make it portable so we could transfer it between vehicles and a few tie downs built into it. I'd like to build a mild steel frame that wasn't too heavy. I'd probably place some rubber on the bottom, so it's secure in the back of our trucks.

I'm thinking about a 15 gallon tank like this one, a SeaFlo water pump like this one and possibly a 12V lithium/anti-gravity light weight motorcycle battery. Using our car battery, we had no problem topping off the charge and having plenty of power for the pump for days of use (thinking I can get away with a smaller battery and possibly add solar charging?)

I'd still need the propane tank (have a small one) and the propane powered hot water heater, but I don't think I'd make them a part of the 'skid' with the water tank, unless I can keep the weight and size manageable? Perhaps just the small propane tank mounted to it as well?

I may play around with the layout, size & material and see what I can do. More to come...?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Do you have on board air? Have you considered pushing the water with an air or co2 tank instead of a pump?

I've been thinking about using kegs and air/co2 for a water setup for a bit. But since I hardly camp anymore, it hasn't been a priority

Greg

Admin
Do you have on board air? Have you considered pushing the water with an air or co2 tank instead of a pump?

I've been thinking about using kegs and air/co2 for a water setup for a bit. But since I hardly camp anymore, it hasn't been a priority

I have a 10# CO2 tank in the Gladiator, but nothing in the F150 unless I move the tank over as well. It's worth considering, but CO2 runs out fast when you're airing up big tires.

I'm hoping that I can make this portable enough to move between both trucks, depending on which one we take out camping. The F150 is awesome in Baja with its fuel range and suspension setup, while the Gladiator is better for more local camping trips.

I'd love to add a couple of ARB Twin Air Compressors to both trucks, but that's quite an investment.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have basically that same tank and similar pump in my 'race' trailer. I ran water to a sink, and an additional line out the back to a sink sprayer I use for a shower. I don't think I have ever even used a full 2 gallons out of it, but I am glad to have extra if needed.
The plumbing goes along the top of the inside of my trailer and gets extremely warm... which I don't like because I am always hot and sweaty and want cold water :rofl:

Greg

Admin
Ordered the 15 gallon tank mentioned above, looks like the perfect size. Had the electric pump on hand.

Talking with the wife, I decided to add the small propane tank and hot water heater into the skid so it's an all in one unit.

It's a lot of stuff that doesn't really fit well together, so I spent some time mocking up what could go where. It's big, but shouldn't be too heavy, with the right battery.

Just need to decide what material to build the frame out of and start putting it together.

20211219_131350.jpg
20211219_131604.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just FYI, These battery converters are pretty cool. They will run your water pump for days, right off the tool battery. Makes things a little more compact. If you are already carrying your tools, it makes things convenient.

That one is Dewalt. But they also make Milwaukee and and such for those of you into dudes.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Just FYI, These battery converters are pretty cool. They will run your water pump for days, right off the tool battery. Makes things a little more compact. If you are already carrying your tools, it makes things convenient.

That was is Dewalt. But they also make Milwaukee and and such for those of you into dudes.
Yup, there are a million uses for those. They can be searched for by "BRAND NAME power wheels adapter" on Amazon. Some even have a switch built into the adapter. For 18v (20v) batteries you can get a buck converter to go down to 12v- if you're worried about frying something.

EDIT: I didn't see that the one you linked actually has a converter. That's neat! I usually try and get the adapters for about $10 so that's a good deal.