Bulk potting mix/soil - where to get?

DAA

Supporting Member
Anyone know where I can get a pickup truck load (need about a yard) of really high quality potting mix?

Most specifically, I want sphagnum based, not sedge, loam or coir. Definitely don't want any hydrogels in it. Bonus points for lots of perlite and vermiculite.

Davis county would be awesome, but will go wherever in SLC area for it if need be.

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
I'll give J&J a call later this morning.

I grow all my weed hdryponic, don't need soil for that (or heat lamps, the grow lights provide plenty of heat).

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
Well... From phone calls made so far. One common element, and not a surprise, the people who answer the phones at nurseries don't know anything, not ANYTHING about the products they sell. No different than asking a clerk at a gas station about the detergent formulation I guess.

But, anyway...

Tri City in Kaysville has potting soil by the yard, they said there is peat in it but they don't know what kind or in what ratio, also mulch, but don't know in what ratio, $55. Sounds too cheap, afraid it's just going to be junky mulch, but who knows.

J & L has potting soil by the yard, but without even any peat (??), but instead she said they use compost with bark :eek:, for $110. She also tried to sell me top soil instead - WTF? Don't know if the gal I talked to is just clueless or they really are trying to charge really high prices for a really crappy product. But either way... Uhhh... I don't think so...

J & J said they don't sell potting mix by the yard, only in bags, so it would cost me about one million dollars for a yard of it. And they don't know what's in it. I didn't bother suggesting to read the label.

So, so far, I think I'll run by Tri City in Kaysville tonight and look at what they have.

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
No, I haven't tried them yet. Just from driving by, it looks like straight mulch - and not really good mulch at that (mostly wood product). But, they might surprise me.

I just called Glover nursery clear out in BFE (West Jordan). Sounds like they have exactly what I want, $115 for a yard. Hate to drive that far, but the guy I talked to actually knew what I was asking for and says he has it. So if Tri City in Kaysville turns out to be a bust, I think I'll just make the drive down there in the morning and get the good stuff.

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
X2 on Glover,
They have some good stuff.

I think I have hook up that could help on price. ;) PM me.

Incoming :D.

BTW...

This is for my planter box/veggie garden project. The soil is going in this thing I built a few weeks ago.

20140420_191106W.jpg

And the reason I'm being so specific about the type of soil that goes into it, is because I designed it to be self watering. I'm not sure if that is going to work at all anyway. But, in order to have any chance of working, it needs the right kind of soil.

Worst case, the self watering part just doesn't work but I have super good quality soil for growing veggies in anyway. Best case, the self watering actually works.

Just have to try it and see!

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
So... When a plant does photosynthesis, part of that process is transpiration. Where the water in the plant leaves it in the form of vapor. As transpiration takes place, the roots absorb in water to replace what is leaving. This actually creates some pull, called transpiration pull. With a good absorbent soil base (sphagnum), with a good void ratio (via perlite and vermiculate for micro and macro pores), the transpiration pull can actually keep the soil at near optimum moisture by wicking/pulling from a reservoir. All hands free, no timers or valves, it just works naturally - waters itself just as much as it actually needs.

It's way common with much smaller planters. You see a lot of them made out of five gallon buckets or plastic totes that are stacked so the one on the bottom is the reservior.

I'm just trying to do the same thing on a larger scale. But... I'm afraid there is too much distance between the reservoirs and the soil, for one thing. And I'm just not sure about how it will work with a soil depth of about 18", for another.

But I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

I'm sort of guessing/hoping that it just "kinda" works. Which, in conjunction with my lawn sprinklers hitting it some every other day, might be enough to keep full size tomoato plants cranking along if I'm not there to water them for a week while I'm off running the Rubicon and hitting up Bodie and stuff.

Like I say, the concept is proven, but I didn't find any examples this size when I was looking, there is probably a reason for that... But, I couldn't help myself from trying.

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
Another picture might help. These are the wicks.

20140429_174423.jpg

12 of them, 2 each per the 6 each, 10 gallon containers that will go on that shelf underneath the box. The pipes, which have a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled in them, will go through the bottom of the planter box and into the water reservoirs underneath, with the bottom of each pipe tight against the bottom of the reservoir.

Then, I'll pack each pipe with moist soil. Then just fill the box up with soil. So there will be uniterrupted columns of soil from the bottom of each reservoir to the top of the soil surface. What is supposed to happen then, is the soil will wick water up into itself and the transpiration pull will keep it going at just the right rate.

Like I keep saying though, I do have my doubts about some aspects of this particular setup. But it really can't hurt to try. Worst case, I end up having to water it normally after all. That, and stand on a ladder to pick my tomoatoes... :rofl:

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
You could try Mill Creek Gardens off 35th and 9th east (801) 487-4131. I don't know that they would be any cheaper than Glover but they would be closer. I buy my turkey poop from Blands on 86th and Redwood (801-561-1321). I know both places have the bulk bins but have never looked specifically at potting mix. It might be worth asking over the phone to make sure they will load you up if you went today. A couple years ago I drove to Blands from WVC for a load and the guy wouldn't load me because it was too wet, I was super pissed but he wouldn't budge. I go back because of the price but I haven't forgotten that trip. With that blast of water we just got I would double check.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So... When a plant does photosynthesis, part of that process is transpiration. Where the water in the plant leaves it in the form of vapor. As transpiration takes place, the roots absorb in water to replace what is leaving. This actually creates some pull, called transpiration pull. With a good absorbent soil base (sphagnum), with a good void ratio (via perlite and vermiculate for micro and macro pores), the transpiration pull can actually keep the soil at near optimum moisture by wicking/pulling from a reservoir. All hands free, no timers or valves, it just works naturally - waters itself just as much as it actually needs.

It's way common with much smaller planters. You see a lot of them made out of five gallon buckets or plastic totes that are stacked so the one on the bottom is the reservior.

I'm just trying to do the same thing on a larger scale. But... I'm afraid there is too much distance between the reservoirs and the soil, for one thing. And I'm just not sure about how it will work with a soil depth of about 18", for another.

But I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

I'm sort of guessing/hoping that it just "kinda" works. Which, in conjunction with my lawn sprinklers hitting it some every other day, might be enough to keep full size tomoato plants cranking along if I'm not there to water them for a week while I'm off running the Rubicon and hitting up Bodie and stuff.

Like I say, the concept is proven, but I didn't find any examples this size when I was looking, there is probably a reason for that... But, I couldn't help myself from trying.

- DAA

Some of the bigger pot shaped planters on Temple Square use this method. Like the 50+ gallon size ones. The soil there is basically all perlite and super mulch but the sealed base planters had 3" pvc pipe in the middle that were used to check the water level. You pop the cap and look down the tube to see where it was at. As the top soil dried out moisture from the saturated base would draw upwards for the plants. I wanna say there was about 48" from base to the top of the planters, so the roots would be only down 12" or so leaving 3-ish feet of "soil" to saturate with water.

I see you are separating the "reservoir" from the main plant area. It'll be interesting to find out how it works out for you. I wonder how much the lumber is going to suck up the water initially. Also I'd be concerned about how much evaporation and drying you are going to see with having all 4 sides exposed to air. I would guess in the hot summer it would be substantial. Do you plan to dump the potting soil right on top of the lumber or are you planning on adding a barrier?

Interesting project none the less.

Last edited:

DAA

Supporting Member
I'm going to add a barrier - with holes for the wicks, I don't want any interuption there. There will no doubt be significant evaporation. But that's the price of using a raised planter box, whether self watered or not. With a 60 gallon water reservoir though, I'm hoping that even with thirsty tomato plants and a hot summer sun they won't need filled more than once a week. Assuming they work at all, of course.

I'll try calling Mill Creek before making the drive south tomorrow if the stuff in Kaysville doesn't pan out. Thanks for the info!

- DAA

lhracing

J&J had some nice stuff last year, my son put about 5 yards in planter boxes and I would recommend it.
You might check with Rock-n-E on 5th south.

blznnp

I was going to suggest glover nursery, when I have talked to them, they seem to know what they are talking about. But then again, I have no clue on that stuff so it doesn't take much for me to feel like someone knows their stuff.