Buying vehicles from Canada???

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
My wife found the vehicle she wants, the dealer it is at bought the car out of Canada is there any reason we should shy away from Canadian vehicle? Vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.

RogueJeepr

Here!
There's a new law when a dealer buys vehicles from Canada. It must be put on a 30 day hold (after dealer purchase). They cant do nothing to it till the 30 is up.

Im not sure how the whole speedometer thing works.
Mph vs kilos.
That would be my only concern, other than looking over the undercarriage for rust and etc.

Oh one thing. Carfax is not what it used to be. Especially on former rental cars. When a rental gets crashed its not reported and fixed in house, so the CF looks clean.
Just my experience working on used cars over the years.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caleb

Is this through Watts? If so I wouldn't even think twice about buying through them, I've bought a ton of vehicles and my best experience ever was through them. I bought my Tundra (brand new, out of Canada as well) through them. Couple things to consider that I have come across with my truck. If it's a new vehicle, the warranty should be transferable and you shouldn't have any problems getting work done by the dealer. The extra stuff (like Toyota Care for me) aren't available since it's from Canada. My radio, while it's the top of the line for the Toyota trucks, can't get Entune since that's a US only feature (don't care about that since the Toyota Entune sucks anyways). There may be some minor feature differences. For example, my truck is a TRD Pro and the TRD Pro in the US comes with an oversized fuel tank. I didn't realize the Canada version does not come with the oversized fuel tank. So make sure the actual features you want with that vehicle, are actually there, don't rely on the package. I was told by the Toyota dealer here that safety requirements aren't as strict in Canada so it could be missing minor safety features that out gov requires (I see this as a plus, some may not :D).

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Canadian vehicle again. I've had zero issues with getting work done, regulations, etc.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My truck came from Canada. They change the gauges to mph, but the cute little glowing lines in the dash no longer line up with the mph (they still line up with kmh) I didn't notice it for a while. Now it bugs me. I don't have any real issues though. Seems to be pretty popular for dealers. My cousin (buyer for Larry miller) says we (America) have a shortage of vehicles, and that a lot come from Canada.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It's a huge market, both directions depending on the market. Oil slumped and a ton of nice trucks were coming back from Canada. They swap gauges, etc and sell them here. When oil is booming they buy trucks here and get them back up there. One of the largest ones in the west is right here in Sandy: http://www.canamlogistics.com/, they import and convert and sell to dealers such as Watts.

crosbike

Just check the body and "frame" thoroughly which I have no doubt you'd do. I almost bought 2 different megacabs from Canukistan and they rhinolined over rust and stuff...no bueno.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My wife found the vehicle she wants, the dealer it is at bought the car out of Canada is there any reason we should shy away from Canadian vehicle? Vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.

Our Ford truck is from canada. Excellent vehicle. I would have no problem buying from there again.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Converting the gauges may be just a simple setting, if it's a newer GC. My 2014 is all digital.

Last edited: