Camp trailer repair recommendations?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Hey all, just looking for some recommendations on where to get my camp trailer's furnace diagnosed and repaired as it will not turn off. We've checked the thermostat and tried some basic diagnostics but it's to the point where it's surpassed my skill level and (more importantly) I'm sick of trying to figure it out.

I'd love to hear some referrals for where to get it checked out in the SL valley.

Thanks!!!

Jesser04

What brand is it? My dad had an Atwood giving him problems and it was cheaper to buy a complete replacement than to fix it. Atwood is local right off 201 and 3200 west. This was about 5 years ago but worth looking into if you have an Atwood the swap was simple.

N-Smooth

What brand is it? My dad had an Atwood giving him problems and it was cheaper to buy a complete replacement than to fix it. Atwood is local right off 201 and 3200 west. This was about 5 years ago but worth looking into if you have an Atwood the swap was simple.

It is in fact an atwood. The only problem is we don't know if it's something on the control board causing it. The actual furnace itself is operating just fine and the previous owner said it was replaced last year.

Coco

I would think any of the RV places around the valley have shops to repair trailers and motorhomes. I know my grandparents had there RV worked on a couple times at General RV at the POTM.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Did you disconnect the thermostat completely? It's most typical for a thermostat to fail and continue to call for heat. Remove the wires, and see if it shuts off.

N-Smooth

Did you disconnect the thermostat completely? It's most typical for a thermostat to fail and continue to call for heat. Remove the wires, and see if it shuts off.

Thermostat? I would do that first.

Yes, that was my first thought as well so I unhooked it completely- still won't shut off. it's a simple two wire thermostat so there's no magic there either. It will only shut off when I pull the fuse or hit the switch on the motor itself.
I've heard the limit switch is a common culprit and since it's only $17.50 I decided to snag one and see if I can replace it. If not, it's going to get serviced.

N-Smooth

Put in a new limit switch tonight and it seemed like it was fixed for a while. Threw the fuse back in and the furnace didn't start running away like it has been. Turned on the thermostat and it fired right up, ran and then turned off when I turned I turned it off. Tried it again and couldn't get it to shut off. Ughhhhhhhh I hate my life

N-Smooth

I get it. It should take about 2 minutes to clear after a normal cycle. I let it run for about 25-30 minutes twice today while testing it. Definitely giving it plenty of time.

Not to sound like a smart ass but how long are you allowing the blower to run after the flame is out? Give it a minute to cool via the blower motor.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The one in my camper turns off in about 2 minutes as well. I just tested it last night.

I just bought this camper. So far I can get everything to work except the hot-water heater. I can't get the pilot light lit on it.

I guess I'll boil water the old fashioned way.

N-Smooth

That's another issue with mine is that the PO said you need to light the water heater with a lighter which is pretty strange for an '09 camper. I open up the panel to look and there's a big, red IGNITE button lol. Apparently that doesn't work either...

The one in my camper turns off in about 2 minutes as well. I just tested it last night.

I just bought this camper. So far I can get everything to work except the hot-water heater. I can't get the pilot light lit on it.

I guess I'll boil water the old fashioned way.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I can't get my fridge to light. I'm not happy. Ugh. leaving in a few minutes on a trip with it. Guess I'll be throwing stuff in a cooler until we get to the camp site. It has power. Atleast the fridge works on power.

N-Smooth

Yeah at least you have a backup plan.
We're in the same boat and planning on going camping after EJS even if the furnace isn't fixed. If it's cold in there... oh well.

I can't get my fridge to light. I'm not happy. Ugh. leaving in a few minutes on a trip with it. Guess I'll be throwing stuff in a cooler until we get to the camp site. It has power. Atleast the fridge works on power.

Jesser04

Can you manually light it with a lighter? My dads motorhome won't light it self but it will stay lit.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I finally got it working. I had to screw around with the light so I could see if it was operational. Once I got the light working, I was able to get it going. So the food stayed cold on the way to the camp ground.

The hotwater heater is still not lit up. I'll mess with it more tonight.

N-Smooth

Had a mobile RV repair guy come out and fix the furnace. It needed a new board and when all was said and done it was just under 3 bills. I can live with that.

Taking it out this weekend for the first time and I can't wait! Cleaned out the water tanks and it's all ready to go.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Good Luck man. I had fun with my 40 footer. It pulled pretty easily. Now that I know how to work everything, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. If you have any questions about cleaning out your POOP tank, there are lots of good videos on youtube. I got mine all nice and sparkly clean.

N-Smooth

'09 Freedom Spirit by Thor. 26' box, just under 30' tongue to tail. I think it's around 4800 dry and 7000ish loaded. Towing with my '12 Hemi 1500. It pulls great.

What are the specs of the trailer and what are you towing it with?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4079.JPG