Camper Question.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So I put the cart before the horse and bought a camper before the new truck arrived because it was basically what I wanted and don't pop up very often. Also ended up getting a pretty good price for it.

Now got all the mounts on the new truck and went for a test fit today........ Well because F*rd and their longer beds it kinda doesn't fit so great.

So I can't get the camper all the way forward in the bed by about 6 inches because of the flat panel along the back of the camper.

So question is....

Option 1 Run it as is 6 inches rear and risk it crushing my tail lights if it shifts at all? Also would eliminate big wind grabbers protruding outside of the bed.

Option 2 Cut away the green area depicted in the pic or the green and red? Its not structural at all and was an option from the factory

Option 3 Or sell it and go back on the hunt?

If option 2 anyone know how much gel coat would flake away and how easy it would be to cut without making it look like a hack job. Then how hard is it to repair said gel coat after the hack.

45C4FE5C-6D42-498B-A6A9-E6C556569A91.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have cut a camper like what you suggest, but it was old and didn't matter. I think for looks and resale I would avoid that on yours.

Stick some blocking in front of the camper to prevent it from sliding forward, and use it as extra storage space.
The extra wind drag from the wings is nothing compared to the big part over the truck..

Edit: and you can keep an eye out for the other one you want, THEN sell this one.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You need to borrow a grinder or what? I think the answer is clear 🤣
Brian as the voice of reason in trailer chopery?
Brave new world.

I might cut it so you can use the tailgate step deal on the new Ford (assuming you have that thing?)
Yea have the old man step. Think I might try an outing or three using Brian’s method. Then either get the sawzall out or sell it

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd cut it, seal it and cap it with factory-like trim. Be careful and it'll be invisible. Masking tape and a sharp, fine-tooth blade and it'd be no big deal.