Campfire In A Can.

DAA

Supporting Member
My buddy Steve (Grimmjpr) has one. I thought it would be pretty lame. But, it's actually pretty cool. We've used it on every trip since he got it and it's been way more convenient, useful, cool than I'd have guessed. Even places where a wood fire is allowed. But like for places like the Maze, it rules.

Not everyone is as enamored as I though. Fried bought one after I talked it up and then he returned it - he thought it was as lame after getting it as I thought it would be before I saw one in use.

Anyhoo... I think they are pretty cool. Eric thinks they are lame.

- DAA

boogie_4wheel

Idea = Cool
Price = Lame

Personally, I can't justify $100 even for the basic unit. Looks like it packs up tight so that it doesn't take up much room in the rig. Already own a camp stove, which seems like the better buy (to me).

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I tried this one

campfire-in-a-can-101.jpg

Not the multi-fuel model and at $250 it was way over-priced.
I just felt like I enjoyed staring at my camp stove about as much.

It seemed very well made and I got a personal phone call from the owner of the company asking why I wanted to return it. I told him the line about staring at a camp stove and he told me the dual-fuel version was coming on kick starter.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
... ahem ... Kevin

I tried this one

View attachment 96715

Not the multi-fuel model and at $250 it was way over-priced.
I just felt like I enjoyed staring at my camp stove about as much.

It seemed very well made and I got a personal phone call from the owner of the company asking why I wanted to return it. I told him the line about staring at a camp stove and he told me the dual-fuel version was coming on kick starter.

so I'll add to my reasons for not keeping it.
The 'logs' are quite fragile and soft ceramic of some sort (like typical fireplace logs) and probably wouldn't survive long
getting it put away was a bit tricky
If you ever cooked on it, it would become an absolute greasy mess.
The flames, to me, just looked like a gas burner adjusted way to rich (surprise) and I'd bet the logs would be covered in soot in no time.

The newer one on KickStarter looks like a better product for me, but after looking at the video, I'm not sure. With the gas burner in use I think the heat output would be far less than with wood since the burner appears to sit at the top of the vertical sided thing so no side radiated heat.

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I used a Camp Chef fire ring on the White Rim once. I liked it s lot, it costs $99

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.