Can we talk dogs?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm under seige, and getting hit from both sides that we need a puppy. I'm not at all convinced of this, our last attempt at doggyness ended in disaster. But the boy wants a dog, and my wife wants a dog, and if we can find the right dog I'd be willing. But it needs to be the right dog. I know some of you know dogs, so I'd appreciate any advice for sure.

First off, we're not going to pay much for it, if we pay anything, so I'd prefer it to be something we'd be likely to find at an adoption center or in the pets section of the classifieds - no puppymill puppies, and none of that purebred with papers nonsense. It needs to be a smaller breed to be a good fit in our small house and small yard and small truck, but we're not interested in toy or miniature anything. I'd prefer a low maintenance, low energy, well-behaved and easily trained dog, but we hike and camp and such so a fat shortlegged couch potato won't be a good fit for us. And being in Utah, obviously it's got to be ok with cold winters and hot summers.

Is there any particular breed out there that fits the bill? Or am I asking too much?

UVRUGBY

I would have to say a border collie, mid size dog, learns quickly, family oriented, listens, playful, and will do good in a small house and truck. With having a kid it will get attention and will play with the kid. They generally love playing outside and will behave, but any dog will behave if it is trained.

Good Luck.

Caleb

I would have to say a border collie, mid size dog, learns quickly, family oriented, listens, playful, and will do good in a small house and truck. With having a kid it will get attention and will play with the kid. They generally love playing outside and will behave, but any dog will behave if it is trained.

Good Luck.

Collies are high strung though.

I doubt you'll find a dog that fits what you are looking for. Also, if you buy from a shelter, you'll probably end up paying $80-$100 because you usually pay for the spayed/neuter, shots, and then some paperwork. If that's too much, then any dog will be too much because the costs don't end at the adoption. If you're not sold on a dog, then I'd suggest not getting one.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
No, I'm good with shelter/rescue org fees and such. I just meant I'm not down for paying thousands of dollars for a dog. :)

I think I could be sold on the right dog, and I'd love for my boy to have that experience. I just don't know if there is a right dog for our situation right now, hence the thread.

Cascadia

Undecided
We have a yorkie and love him, but he would fall in the toy breed category. He lives inside, waits at the door to go to the bathroom, sleeps under the covers at the foot of the bed and doesn't move once all night, eats very little (I'm talking a 30 lb bag every 2 months), loves everybody, weighs less than 4 lbs, can run 7 miles with us in the trails, loves camping, and the list goes on. He is also hypoallergenic and does not shed at all. Only problem is his offspring have all sold for $1500 or more.:cool: But you can find some that are around 8 lbs or so for a lot cheaper, like under 500. But that's still more than you want to spend. For how great of a dog he is, when it is time to get a new guy (hopefully not soon) I would gladly spend $2000 for another one, although we didn't spend half that on this one.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah, from the pictures I see of Trip Reports, Fender definitely seems to be really well mannered and in the loop as far as what to do and who to follow on the trails. I met him on the first noob run last year and he was a cool pup :)

rholbrook

My kids wanted a dog really bad. My only requirement was that it didnt shed. I am extremely allergic to shedding dogs. We found a Maltese Yorkie (Morkie) mix that has worked out really well. Very mild mannered, not yappie and likes children. I have been looking at getting a Golden Doodle which is a Golden Retriever Standard Poodle mix. The neighbors have two and they are great dogs. You have the temperment of a Golden Retriever with the smarts and nose of a Poodle and they dont shed either. I paid $200 for the Morkie and he has been with us now for 4 years and is pretty much one of the kids. Great dog.

UVRUGBY

Collies are high strung though.

I doubt you'll find a dog that fits what you are looking for. Also, if you buy from a shelter, you'll probably end up paying $80-$100 because you usually pay for the spayed/neuter, shots, and then some paperwork. If that's too much, then any dog will be too much because the costs don't end at the adoption. If you're not sold on a dog, then I'd suggest not getting one.

true they are.

another good choice could be a blue or red heeler.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok what I have to say doesn't fit into your categories of small, or cheap, but it works with your other categories.

For the last 8 years or so we have had mastiffs. Our first was a bull mastiff, many of you on here have met him, and our current dog is a English mastiffs. Great dogs! Family oriented, easy to train, MELLOW, ours have been happy where ever we are are. We have three small boys and the dog is bonded with them and is protective but not aggressive. They are a companion/guard dog.

Now the down sides. They are HUGE, our last one was 31" tall at the shoulder and 140 lbs, our current one is 33-34" and still growing in terms of weight. They aren't a breed you can out in the back yard and forget. They need to be a part of the family. Ours isn't allowed in the boys room so he is often sleeping outside the door laying across the hall just outside standing guard. They have a tendency to drool.

Where they love to be with the family the tend to stay close, inside or outside. I like to take mine on walks with my boys. My oldest son is close to three and the dog is one of his best friends. They go everywhere together. We often joke our son doesn't have a dog, it's more like our dog has a boy. :D

just something's to think about. Good luck.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
You want the perfect dog? See if you can find a Vizsla mixed with a Lab or Blue Heeler, these are what we have and they have been the smartest and healthiest dogs(think cheap) I have ever had. My older one is almost 14 and other than annual shots has had zero issues that you often hear of in purebred dogs.

rambrush

We picked up a yellow lab mixed from this place in southern Utah. Yes she sheds a bit but when we went and visited we were able to see dogs of all shapes and models then we filled the paperwork out and brought her home 9 years ago.
They rescue pets from all over during hurricanes and other disasters from around the country.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I second the positive comments on Mastiffs, I have a 2 year old English Mastiff female, and she is by far they best dog I have ever owned. Not small though!

I would suggest looking into any Labrador retriever, whatever color you like best. Growing up my family had black labs, and they were always great dogs. They grow to be 75ish pounds, so not huge, but not small. You could also look into a Healer, but they tend to be a bit more active.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We adopted a Golden Retriever, wow, maybe 14 years ago? We had to put him down about 10 years ago due to cancer. He was a great dog and very loyal. I would get another 'triever if I was to get another dog. However, my backyard is in good shape now and I enjoy not having to take care of a dog. We have two neighbors with dogs and that works for my dawg fix.

We did have a neighbor that moved that had a Bull Mastiff and I really did like him. Big as a calf but pretty gentle.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
However, my backyard is in good shape now and I enjoy not having to take care of a dog.

I have owned dogs for the last 15 years of my life, but the most recent 2 years have been dog free.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I really loved my dogs, and kept good care of them.. but what a difference it is to not have to worry about it for trips and camping and feeding and pooper scooping, etc..