Can we talk tool chests?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
My cashier said 3 weeks for a black color 72, we will see. Almost all the boxes are preorder. The inside track coupon is no exclusions

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My cashier said 3 weeks for a black color 72, we will see. Almost all the boxes are preorder. The inside track coupon is no exclusions
I got the impression the 6-8 week estimate was “padded” but honestly I’m not worried about it either way. I could use some time to make space for the box. I’m just stoked that even without the top box it’s roughly 4x the capacity of my stacked 26” box that I’ve had forever. And of course more space for tools means I’m going to buy more tools 😎

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
View attachment 146475

I picked up this thing during the last sale, I had to pre order it but it only took two weeks to get in. I am waiting for the side locker to be available in orange, they are available in red right now but that would look weird.
The lighter color really brightens the shop though.
I'm not usually big on orange but I do love that color. I think they nailed it with all of their colors.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I tried to buy a small 26" hf one when it was 20% off over the weekend. After looking at them I decided against it. The quality wasn't as good as the Husky ones and they still cost more. And they wanted me to wait 5-6 weeks. No thanks.
I dunno if I like the "new hf."

Husky

For the hf price you get an upper and lower

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I tried to buy a small 26" hf one when it was 20% off over the weekend. After looking at them I decided against it. The quality wasn't as good as the Husky ones and they still cost more. And they wanted me to wait 5-6 weeks. No thanks.
I dunno if I like the "new hf."

Husky

For the hf price you get an upper and lower
While I can’t comment on the smaller boxes when I was wavering on which to buy before. I went back and forth from HD to HF, I felt the husky box was made of tin foil compared 🤷‍♂️. But again it was the bigger box. Someone posted a video I believe in this thread of a comparison. Weight and thickness of material. After seeing how husky wheels were mounted it was enough to sell me on HF

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
For me it comes down to the drawer configuration. I don’t need/want large drawers. The 72” box was a deal breaker because of the large main drawer. I just felt like I wouldn’t be able to organize it. That husky box has too many deep drawers. That a waste to me. I’d rather have two shallow drawers that one that’s too deep. I settled on the hf 56” which I felt had drawers that fit my needs the best. I’ll likely add the side hanging box that adds more small drawers.
As a professional mechanic that has opened and closed tool box drawers a thousand times a day for 20 years I’m not at all worried about the quality of this hf box. Having said that, I spent two years in a shop where I had to drag my box all around the shop. It was pretty rough, dirty concrete. I would not have purchased this box if I was still doing that. My box is now parked and will never move. No worries about shock load stress from bouncing around a shop floor.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I filled up my 72" box relatively quickly so It looks like next time they go on sale I am going to grab a Black 56" box to match.

STAG

On my grind
I went to HF for a $8.99 tool. Walked out with one of these.

$100 off for the holiday weekend was the motivating factor. That and I knew I would need it in the future anyways so I figured I should take advantage of the sale.

I looked at the floor model in store and honestly it’s definitely no professional-grade box but it will be fine for what I need.

0C20618A-F076-4D02-8710-8DAE51F19F6D.jpeg
16D15214-A566-4CAE-94B0-4A252674ECEA.jpeg
Now to see if I’m strong enough to get it out of my truck on my own without damaging it 😂. Shipping weight is 292.8 lbs.

*edit, got it out safe. Had to transfer it to my work truck so that the wood pallet would be set down to the ground first, then just pivoted it off the tailgate to the ground then used a appliance dolly to get it into the garage.
B5044459-19B4-4D30-9C11-1F8B1A03F8CC.jpeg

Last edited: