Castle Country is under attack.

great scott

Castle Country is under atack.

The Price BLM office is doing a Resorce Managment Plan of wich public coment ends oct 15th 2004! They will close all cross country travle, many trails and limit group sizes. The information they are putting out is incomplete and confusing. We feel that the coment period should be extented for that reson and to allow better more complete coments. We also would like some areas left as recreation areas for cross country play/ travle. If you have any favorite trails in this area please send them in to the Price office with or with out letters about incresing group size, extending the coment period and recreation areas.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
great scott said:
...If you have any favorite trails in this area please send them in to the Price office with or with out letters about incresing group size, extending the coment period and recreation areas.

Hey, hook us up with the following:

Name of RMP Agent of the BLM
Mailing Address
Email Address

Thanks!!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Here is the mailing address, but I couldn't find the RMP info regarding the plan and the agent in charge...

Bureau of Land Management
Price Field Office
125 South 600 West
Price, Utah 84501
Phone: (435)636-3600
Fax: (435)636-3657

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
09-21-2004 Sun Advocate article:

------------------------------------------

Carbon questions BLM’s draft RMP

By RICHARD SHAW
Sun Advocate community editor

Carbon County appears to be in opposition to the United States Bureau of Land Management’s recently released draft resource management plan.

The federal agency conducted public meeting on the draft RMP in Carbon, Emery and Salt Lake counties several weeks ago.

“Over the past couple of years, we had a memorandum of understanding that, while the county worked with the BLM, comments about this issue would be confidential. But now, that is opened up and we would like to let people know that we believe the RMP could have serious implications for the county and its citizens,” explained Carbon planning and zoning director Dave Levanger at the last meeting of the local recreation and transportation special service district.

“We do not agree with the plan, have consistently opposed many parts of it and see little consistency with our plan for managing the county’s lands,” pointed out Levanger.

Presently, organizations, businesses, governmental agencies and individuals have until Oct. 15 to submit public comments about the draft plan.

“The consistency of what they have presented in the plan questionable,” indicated Alan Peterson, a local multiple land use advocate. “I went to the meeting in Emery County and asked where the map was located that showed roads recognized by Carbon in the plan and they didn’t have it. Then at the meeting here in Price, they used the map I was asking about in the presentation, but it wasn’t included in the actual plan. I was then told that they would use that map in the plan. Then at the Salt Lake meeting, the Southern Utah Wilderness Association representatives went ballistic because the BLM showed that map on the screen again but still didn’t have it included in the document. What are we supposed to comment on? What’s contained in the document or what is in the meeting presentation?”

Scott Wheeler questioned the inconsistencies in the BLM’s draft plan regarding off-highway vehicle use.

“They didn’t even address it properly,” said the local off-highway vehicle advocate. “Actually, they included 150 miles of blacktop roads in the off-road inventory.”

The county has produced some documents pointing out the problems Carbon officials see with the plan. For the most part, Carbon’s objections center around the following areas:

•The county wants the RMP to match what local officials have approved as a master plan. The present form of the RMP doesn’t do this. The county said it is committed to multiple use and sustained yield on public lands. A lawsuit called Uintah vs. Norton was filed in 2001, which had to do with the BLM trying to introduce horses into an area where the county master plan did not allow it. Uintah County won the suit and kept the horses out. That set a precedent for a county’s master plan to hold measure over federal mandates.

•The county has voiced its opposition to layering of land uses and restrictions. These layering methods include various kinds of laws and regulations including visual resource management, areas of critical environmental concern, wild and scenic rivers, special recreation management areas as well as other acts that tie up land for particular reasons. The problem the county sees with these kinds of regulations is that they can be used to the extreme. For instance visual resource management could mean that if a gas well head could be seen 50 miles away in a wilderness area, the area that gas well is in could be regulated. In another instance, according to county officials, the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act could impact every drainage attached to a designated river. This means, for instance, that the entire drainage system in the Desolation Canyon area could be made de facto wilderness by the Green River’s designation as a wild and scenic river.

•The county said it supports protection and management of watersheds, but dislikes the idea of corridor management, such as is found in the Wild and Scenic River designation. The problem with this designation is that often there are bordered lands that are affected by the act and in some cases these restrictions can go well beyond the boundaries of the river itself, affecting side drainages far away from the intended protected areas.

•The county also opposes any reduction in grazing rights. The county has a policy of no net loss of private lands, animal unit months (AUMs), or water rights to public agencies.

•The county sees the present form of the RMP as being driven by recreation, rather than by other uses of the land. This could result in job loss and other impacts to the county. The county said it feels that minerals, agriculture, timber and other land uses should be on a par with recreation when determinations are made about how land should be used.

•The county also has concerns about the forested properties the BLM controls, because some policies could allow harmful insects and wild fires to spread onto privately held adjacent lands.

•The use of a recreation opportunity spectrum also troubles the county. The use of parameters to close existing roads and ignore the existence of some roads is opposed by the county. The counties accepted transportation plan, which recognizes roads in the county, was not included in the document.

•The county adopted a wilderness proposal in April of this year and it complies with the recreational opportunity spectrum and the county expects the BLM to adhere.

•As for the document itself, the county said it is concerned first of all about the maps that are used and their clarity concerning specifics in the county. The county also notes that the length and inclusiveness of the plan is too complex, making environmental assessments obsolete and creating a situation where following the parameters of the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) would be nearly impossible. This, in effect, would keep land from being used for almost anything at all.

When these stands were presented to the people at the meeting, many of the industry and government people attending said they were ready to put together groups to comment on the RMP as well.

“The point is if we make comments now it will improve our standing if we have to take action later,” stated LaVon Garrison of the Utah State Institutional Lands Trust, which has a major stake in how BLM lands are administered since they have sections of land interspersed in many places surrounded by BLM property.

The public can also view and comment upon on the RMP by contacting the Price field office of the BLM at www.pricemp.com/

great scott

It has been very hard to get complete info from the BLM, even to the point that we are getting conflicting answers. It would seem that group sizes will be set to 25 persons and ten OHVs including tow rigs trailors ext, and that all cross country travle will be stoped and many trails.

dbdproductions

What can I do, what can I say

What can I say or do to help get our input on the issue.

I guess the major comment would be to ask for more comment time?

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I only know a little bit about the area, and I haven't been on many trails out there. This makes it hard for me to make any comments on what is happening because I don't understand what they are proposing. I also don't know what the plan really is because it's such a vast scope. Please help...

-Derek

great scott

The BLM's RMP is very confusing and even contradicting. That is a big part of our concern and the fact that we just dont have time to get all of the trails turned in for coment. Even if you do not know specific trails or areas send letters to them stating 1.you do not understand the plan(need more time) and 2.that you feel we need some recreation areas to better preserve more sensitive areas by giving us a safe place to play, stimulate the local economy, and provide better recreation opertunities. Another big concern is gruop size, as of now they are suggesting 25 persons and 10 vehicles. Those #s are to small. State that it will 1. make family camping trips allmost imposible 2. make it much harder for clubs and the like to teach responsible use. We/you need your letters we have been told this will set a president for the whole state! Thanks for the concern.

great scott

I have set up a meeting with some local officals and clubs this thursday, Oct 7th @6:30pm in the Carbon County Planning and Zoning building @ 120 east main, just south of the court house. We will try to share ideas, make a plan, build a united frount, and pass out info and forms to send to the BLM. We would like your/anyones suport and ideas.

great scott

Last nights meeting went well. Clubs, county officals, and just concernd citizens showed up to deffend our lands. The group desided to build a proactive plan that explains why the BLM's DRMP sucks and how we belive it should be changed and why. We are allso expecting an extention of the coment period(should find out latter today) that will give us more time. The group has set the next 2 wendsday nights apart for meetings and we wellcome your input. Same place as above at 7:00 pm.
Phase one of our plan may include; 1. a questionair that is inttended to inform the public and get their coments to the BLM (letters are still better this is easier). 2. Send as many letters as possible. 3. Media covrage, mostly local, to agian inform and activate the puplic. 4.Posible direct marketing/phone calls.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Cruiser or Great I think one of you should type up a form letter, might get some more response. Let me know if you decide to so I can save myself some time if not I'll hash one out.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
onetuff76 said:
Cruiser or Great I think one of you should type up a form letter, might get some more response. Let me know if you decide to so I can save myself some time if not I'll hash one out.

Just a quick insight, form letters are very convenient, but let me tell you, I have met with Floyd Johnson and his words to me were, "form letters will be counted as one comment". He said when SUWA sends them 14,000 faxes, emails, and form letters that are fill in the blank and sign, they count the comments as one single comment, understandably. So resist the temptation and write one on your own, we have given you a pattern to follow and possible comments you can re word in our email alert that went out tonight, if you aren’t on or alert list send your email address to me and I will put you on it and send you our most recent alert on this RMP. :D

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
utahmike said:
Just a quick insight, form letters are very convenient, but let me tell you, I have met with Floyd Johnson and his words to me were, "form letters will be counted as one comment". He said when SUWA sends them 14,000 faxes, emails, and form letters that are fill in the blank and sign, they count the comments as one single comment, understandably. So resist the temptation and write one on your own, we have given you a pattern to follow and possible comments you can re word in our email alert that went out tonight, if you aren’t on or alert list send your email address to me and I will put you on it and send you our most recent alert on this RMP. :D

That is very good to know that they are only counting those generic letters as single comments. Seriously, very good! I've always written in my own statements because I knew that generic letters held little to no meaning. :)

great scott

Wow we hit a nerve. We built a form that informs the public and has them answer questions. Granted it is a bit one sided but still dead on! The BLM has allready had some turned in and they are mad! They admit that they must treat each one as a seprate letter not a form and they dont like it or the questions.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
great scott said:
Wow we hit a nerve. We built a form that informs the public and has them answer questions. Granted it is a bit one sided but still dead on! The BLM has allready had some turned in and they are mad! They admit that they must treat each one as a seprate letter not a form and they dont like it or the questions.

OOoooohhhhhhh!!!! More details. I like that they are responding to our letters, but am a little concerned about them being 'mad'. How can we promote a more cooperative attitude?