Jeep CCV/PCV queries

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
So my '93 XJ 4.0 has a CCV (crankcase ventilation) system. It consists of one large elbow at the front of the crankcase that goes to the airbox for a clean air supply and an elbow at the back that has a small orifice and goes straight to the intake manifold for vacuum. I suppose the idea is to not over-pressurize the crankcase and to burn off all of the "oil mist" for emissions reasons. I hate it. The stupid orifice gets clogged very easily and it causes the famous blowby to happen, make the filter oily and in turn the throttle body and intake manifold are messy. When the orifice isn't clogged all of the oil mist goes into the intake manifold directly and makes a mess in there. On top of that, being that the jeep is 20 years old, the rubber and plastic lines crack and fail.
Here is a picture of the system. Yes the back elbow has duct tape on it because it is cracked.
image.jpg

My question is, since emissions are not a concern for my jeep as it is going to be OHV registered by the end of the month, what is stopping me from removing the whole CCV system? It would seem that not over-pressurizing the crankcase would be my only concern at this point... no? I'm thinking about getting another one of the front elbows (they're the same size), connecting them both with a T and putting a lame little breather filter on it. If it makes an oily mess I suppose I could rig a little oil catch can in before the filter. I would of course plug the hole in the intake manifold, just like I have for these other 2. And the line from the airbox as well. I need to finish up the one on the other side anyways as it's currently plugged with duct tape ;)
image.jpg

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited: