chandler canyon?

troutbum

cubi-kill
anyone familiar with the chandler canyon trail? I was rafting down desolation canyon last weekend and stumbled across this trail. Beautiful area and seemed like it would be a great late fall trail. As I hiked along it someone had used a tractor to pull dead fall across the trail this continued every 100 yards or so for several miles. This was in the middle of the trail??

I know SUWA has been really busting a nut to get this area locked up. Trying to find out if the closure was legit or not?? Either way it is a shame beautiful area.

Anyone got any info?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
No. but now I'm interested. Tell me more, oh great one!

Edit: So I assume you hiked a ways up the canyon from its confluence with the Green? The map shows a road coming down Chandler Canyon and continuing down desolation along the Green.....is that right? Can you still drive from that point all the way to Green River city?

EZ

Last edited:

troutbum

cubi-kill
EZRhino said:
No. but now I'm interested. Tell me more, oh great one!

Edit: So I assume you hiked a ways up the canyon from its confluence with the Green? The map shows a road coming down Chandler Canyon and continuing down desolation along the Green.....is that right? Can you still drive from that point all the way to Green River city?

EZ

We were floating desolation canyon. We camped at florence creek and cut the trail there, I looked at some topos today and it is listed as a jeep trail we maybe hiked 5 miles or so? Several stream crossings really pretty. Looks like tons of elk and deer winter there. Found some nice sheds and a couple of carcasses. Don't know much more except that someone very recently used a tractor to barricade the trail in several spots, didn't feel real official, but maybe the BLM has closed it? I will probably end up calling the BLM.