Cheap '99 KTM 300 MXC

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
There is a 1999 KTM 300 MXC listed for sale locally to me, it's not currently running due to some wiring and or spark issues but has a brand new piston.

I'm not sure what the overall condition of the rest of the bike looks like, but the guy has it listed for sale for a few hundred dollars. I realize this isn't going to be nearly as good as a '08+ 300, but I've told myself I can't buy another dirt bike until my Jeep is paid off. I'm considering buying this cheap 300 and fixing it up enough to have a cheap dirt bike to ride in the meantime.

I know these 300 are sensitive to jetting, but I figure if I can get it running and work on the small things it should be a decent enough bike to get me out and riding. I have read that the forks on this bike are pretty decent, better with the right springs.

Anybody have thoughts or suggestions on one of these older 300's? The MXC has a semi close ratio transmission, but I understand it's still a six speed. I could always run a Rekluse and higher gearing if I missing top end speed.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I should have asked for a picture before wasting my time going to look at it... I know better. :rofl: I wouldn't have paid $200 for it... I guess their idea of a 'roller' is different than mine. They had the bike in pieces, engine out, swingarm off, it was a frame with forks and a PILE of parts in a big plastic bin. On top of that, most of the plastics were shot, it had been ridden HARD and put away wet.

I don't mind a project, but this wasn't worth my time. Oh well!! :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Weird I was talking about this saturday night with some friends. I miss nearly every bike I've sold in some way, shape or form.... except my 98 KTM 300MXC :-\

The KTM was a turd and as much as I tried to like it I pretty much hated it every time I took it out. It was in great shape with a few goodies and well cared for but that was not enough. It had less power than any 250 I've owned/ridden and was the same weight as a early 450 4T. It would not go in a straight line to save it's life. Think marbles on ice.. It handled like a wheelbarrow full of rocks. Mine was a 5 speed and the spacing was close ratio at best.

The Forks were amazing. They were the conventional WP 50mm 'Extreme' and I still think they're one of the best forks ever made.

If I could give it a second chance I would have the cylinder and head sent out for porting and reshaping because there has to be decent power hidden in there somewhere. I would send the rear shock to the best WP re-valver out there (whoever that might be) because the shock alone ruined what could possibly--maybe be a decent play bike.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Don't worry you'll be fine without it lol.

Last edited: