60 Rear ($100)
Make it light

The rest could be spent on tube, etc...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
1k$ for a running zuk.
600$ for 6:1 t-case
400$ for lockers

make a tube buggy about 1500lbs and run stock axles. use 1" .120 wall chro-mo tube and make it a 1 seater.

pleanty or funds to spare.....

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i'd steal kurt's when he's done with it.

that's like, $5 in gas to get home, and then how much ever it will cost to fix all his mistakes!:D

sooooo, it would end up around $3,500:mad:

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
Rear ended EFI toyota with good frame....$500.00

SAS(if needed) gears, lockers, hi-steer, super berfs, wheels, tires, tube....$3000.00

Wheeling something with an actual wheel base....Priceless!!!

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Originally posted by Terrible Paulsy
Wheeling something with an actual wheel base....Priceless!!!

wheel bases are over-rated. have you seen anybody drag a tacoma though helderado on 225s? I think not!

/w a short wheelbase you can easly make up for smaller tires. I've personaly never seen 40"ers on a stock zuk wheelbase, its just overkill and unnesisary.

I agree, take a samurai and use all the drivetrain and mics parts to build a tube buggy.

P

pokeyYJ

80-86ish Wagoneer- $500-1500
This way you get a V-8 engine and drive train, 44 front and Rear or AMC 20 rear

Take the body off and sell the glass doors and interior+ $200-500

Box the rest of the frame and add tube

The rest of the cash can be spent on 36-37 inch tires and gears and lockers:D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
80-86ish Wagoneer- $500-1500
This way you get a V-8 engine and drive train, 44 front and Rear or AMC 20 rear

Take the body off and sell the glass doors and interior+ $200-500

Box the rest of the frame and add tube

The rest of the cash can be spent on 36-37 inch tires and gears and lockers:D

this way you get a v-8 and axles that can't handle the v-8. take the body off and try to sell the glass and doors but spend more money on putting an add in the paper than you will earn from selling them. the rest of the cash can be spent on 36-37 inchers and lockers that the axles can't handle.

the 360 is a good motor and so is the 401, i also heard that they have a th400 tranny, just with a different bolt pattern. but, i imagine anyone with sense would get rid of the quadratrash, or just get one without it. the real way to do it would be to throw in a np 203 and then get dana 60's or even a 14b in the rear. no body, just tube buggy fsj would be badass though. i think i would go with a yj for a rock buggy though, for the following reasons... frame, 4.0 and tranny would do the job(i think), swap in better t-case or t-case doubler and then some one ton axles. wranglers are a better size for a rock buggy, not huge like a fsj. badass if you ask me. or a sami would be sweet.
just thoughts
-nate

Caleb

Originally posted by xj_punk

this way you get a v-8 and axles that can't handle the v-8. take the body off and try to sell the glass and doors but spend more money on putting an add in the paper than you will earn from selling them. the rest of the cash can be spent on 36-37 inchers and lockers that the axles can't handle.

the 360 is a good motor and so is the 401, i also heard that they have a th400 tranny, just with a different bolt pattern. but, i imagine anyone with sense would get rid of the quadratrash, or just get one without it. the real way to do it would be to throw in a np 203 and then get dana 60's or even a 14b in the rear. no body, just tube buggy fsj would be badass though. i think i would go with a yj for a rock buggy though, for the following reasons... frame, 4.0 and tranny would do the job(i think), swap in better t-case or t-case doubler and then some one ton axles. wranglers are a better size for a rock buggy, not huge like a fsj. badass if you ask me. or a sami would be sweet.
just thoughts
-nate

I think you missed the $3500 budget...to get a wrangler with a 4.0 (doesn;t amtter the year) or a set of 1 ton axles (60 and 14T like you mentioned) are all getting pretty high is the price restriction...wrangler is gonna be outta it regaurdless of how you look at it...the axles are gonna be about half your budget...they're not a budget set of xzles...the 203 is about as good as the quadratrash so I dont know what you were thinking reccomending that:confused:...the NP205 would be a better suggestion, all gear driven...a doubler is gonna run ya around $1K so again, its not a budget item:rolleyes:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
the key here is to stick with dana 44's. too much weight, and they won't live. also, who would waste money on a carbed V8, when you could get a fuel injected 4 cyl in just about anything nowadays. featherweight is the key to the budget. And freebies. It's all about the freebies.:D

N-Smooth

okay i guess a wrangler could be too expensive. but not a 4 cyl yj with waggy 44's.
thoughts,
nate

S

sukaB

Were Prolly doing a budget builder for the rag-mag soon!
Stay tuned....I'm talking cheap.....Comp rig....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Wanker Delux
wheel bases are over-rated.
/w a short wheelbase you can easly make up for smaller tires.

BS, on the "Over Rated" comment. Best thing I have done yet.

Who want's "Smaller Tires"?

:confused:

I'll keep my Pinto.

Moon

what are you asking this question you have the cheepest and most capiable buggie on the board untill you tore it apart. what were you thinking?

troutbum

cubi-kill
Are we talking 3500 before wheels and tires or including?

It'll be tough to do if you include wheels and rubber in that price tag.

I would say minitruck 22re/tranny/ 800ish
stacked cases with 4.7 rear case, ???dunno a price:confused:800??
dana 60 rear. dana 44 front...400 ish
Hydro assist and weld the 4.10 diffs... 300ish
Astrovan or TJ coils with a 4 link front and rear. 200ish
That leaves 1k for rubber.

No money for:
good front shafts or joints (alloy/CTM)
Steel
Misc costs...brake lines, steering, hardware
wheels/beadlocks

N-Smooth

cheap samurai with two stock t-cases, no body, stock motor and tranny, and land cruiser axles. light weight, small motor but low gearing, not that huge of axles... but it is lightweight. springover on yj springs or whatever. and of course some used meats out of the thrifties, i got my 36.5's (5 of them) on wheels for $250. that would be the best buggy. if you wanted to improve go for a 1.6 motor, so you have F.I. until then, run the carb with a restrictor.
whatcha think about that one?
-nate

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by troutbum
Are we talking 3500 before wheels and tires or including?

It'll be tough to do if you include wheels and rubber in that price tag.

I would say minitruck 22re/tranny/ 800ish
stacked cases with 4.7 rear case, ???dunno a price:confused:800??
dana 60 rear. dana 44 front...400 ish
Hydro assist and weld the 4.10 diffs... 300ish
Astrovan or TJ coils with a 4 link front and rear. 200ish
That leaves 1k for rubber.

No money for:
good front shafts or joints (alloy/CTM)
Steel
Misc costs...brake lines, steering, hardware
wheels/beadlocks
Including tires. Hand me downs are everywhere.

S

sukaB

Money says WE got you beat....
we are gettin paid to build project light weight...get me...