Cherokee XJ deluxe ARB bull bar

93yj

probbley a long shot but anybody thinking of selling one of these off your cherokee xj? I am looking for the year from 84 to 96.

Attachments

• ARB_winch_ready_bull_bar.jpg
    ARB_winch_ready_bull_bar.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 68

93yj

Well I like the style of these to start. The strength of these I have heard are pretty strong, but if you have some examples of ones where the grill bar and winch mounts are available on them shoot me a link or post some pictures. Ya I know they are expensive new. I did see one on here about a year ago for 300 or 400 so before I go drop 800 plus on a new one I am looking for a used one. Any thoughts you have are welcome.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I think Badger was asking why you want an ARB bumper when there are stronger yet cheaper bumpers out there? And I agree, while they do look great, they are thin and weak compared to others you can buy for less money. I speak from experience and would not spend the money on one again, unless you can find a used one for under $300 and reinforce it.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
ARB are airbag complient which is only important when you get into an accident. If you need stronger, consider learning to drive better. Just sayin'

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Yep for what you are willing to spend on an ARB used you could get a brand new bumper that can actually take a beating. Start looking at AJ's Offroad, JCr's, Rigidco,etc.. Granted to have the full bull bar style you are looking to spend a bit more over just a winch bumper but in reality the bull style in useless unless you live in the outback and plan on hitting a kangaroo or two. They give you no extra protection only added weight to an already heavy area of the vehicle.

AJ's Offroad
They are willing to customize it to what ever you want but again you will pay in the end for it
Img_2261.jpg

JCr Offroad

Rigidco One of the best and he is local in Utah and will customize to what ever you want.

DirtBound Never heard of him before running a search over on NAXJA for you but look pretty clean
timthumb.php

The other thing you might want to do is head over to NAXJA and make a post asking the same thing. I'm sure there is somebody over there willing to dump their over priced ARB for a real bumper.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
ARB are airbag complient which is only important when you get into an accident. If you need stronger, consider learning to drive better. Just sayin'

I would love to know what makes a bumper airbag compliant aren't all airbags triggered by a g sensor and nothing that's in the bumper itself. The only thing that I can think that would make them complaint is that they fold like tin foil when hit with any real force.

93yj

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Here are a few other reviews on the ARBs

http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-parts-reviews/262/arb-bull-bar/

I am working on an overland/exploring XJ project. There are some pretty big mule deer and elk that I have almost hit that would be comparable to a kangaroo in the outback. Just curious maybe on how much to get those unpainted bumper/winch/bull bars would be after the 500+pluss shipping? Any case I still like the look of the ARB and hoping that somebody might be looking to sale. Thanks for looking.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The reviews and page you link to is for a ZJ not an XJ not that it matters most of the people that are reviewing on that page are most likely never really using the bumper as intended and are mall crawlers. It's your vehicle so put what ever you want on the front of it and if your only into looks and not actual functionality then by all means slap an ARB on the front of it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I could show you the tweaked mounting brackets and bent steel on my ARB, but you can just take my word for it, I don't even have a winch mounted to add extra stress. I have had it on for 12 years and at the time there was no other option on the market, I wouldn't do it over again if I had a choice. Another downside to the ARB is that if you use their license bracket it blocks flow to the radiator, we are talking a good 20 degree increase going up Spanish Fork canyon compared to without the plate in place. There are even more options for the XJ than the ZJ, so you should get something better than the ARB.

93yj

Thanks for all the info guys!!! I am still in the market looking for a bumper/winch/bullbar brushgard of some sort thanks

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would love to know what makes a bumper airbag compliant aren't all airbags triggered by a g sensor and nothing that's in the bumper itself. The only thing that I can think that would make them complaint is that they fold like tin foil when hit with any real force.

Crumple zones, ARB builds their bumpers to crush within a designed parameter as mandated by Federal standards in both their countries and ours. Many vehicles (Toyota's) use a deccelerometer which is a function of time. A bumper without any 'crumple' factor will go from say 30 to 0 in x amount of time, that derivative is the deceleration. Have a super-heavy duty bumper with zero give and that time is greatly reduced (we are talking milliseconds here). Therefore, instead of your airbags deploying in a ~8mph wreck as mandated, it could deploy in say a 4 mph or 3mph.

Now, I don't know jack about the ARB Jeep winchbar lineup so I can't say they have crumple brackets but in many of the Toyota applications I deal with they have replaceable crumple brackets that are engineered to fold in an accident yet have the ability to not unfold for winching, if you've ever seen the actual bracketry is pure genius. This is far more of an issue in Aussie and Europe in which auto safety standards are far more stringent than here in the US. Toyota, Nissan, Ford and others use non-badged ARB bumpers OE in Aussie and other foreign markets, yet another factor in their decision to certify their bumpers as air bag compliant and tested. An admit-able non-issue for many, that's your decision to make.

As for needing the upper bar protection... last I checked there were plenty of deer and livestock roaming the wilds in Utah. I've had quite a few near misses and on a Henry's mountain trip literally had to use my bullbar to nudge a stubborn cow off the trail. Just got this note from one of my customers in Montana:

"Got my ARB bumper put on that I bought from you when I came down and picked it up. My wife hit a deer last night doing about 45mph, hurt the deer and put a dent in the hood but everyone is fine, except for the deer of course. Didn't put a scratch on the bumper. My third ARB bumper, if anyone ever doubts whether they are worth it or not, have them call me. Thanks again!"

looks and not actual functionality then by all means slap an ARB on the front of it.

Interesting perspective. Funny, my non-functional yet good "looking" ARB winchbar has navigated me all over the western US without fail, 20k+ miles off-road, winching, recoveries, you name it. I must be special, zero dents, zero bent brackets, zero cooling issues. No wonder DMC's u-joint failed in Chile, he was using an ARB bumper on his Alaska to Argentina trip lol[/chest thumping]

Would it be my first choice for a rock-crawler? Absolutely not... for camping rig, overland rig, expedition rig, whatever new label we are giving it rig, its a proven and viable option. Again my experiences are 100% Toyota, the Jeep stuff could be 180* different in terms of value to benefit but in the Toyota realm these 'function' bumpers your referring to are no different in price and in many cases offer less benefits and protection.

Last edited: