Christmas Tree Cutting in Evanston district

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I want to take the family out to cut down a tree this year. I have heard multiple times that the Evanston district always has permits. Does anyone on here have any suggestions on where to go to get a tree in that district?

Thanks for the help in advance.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I want to take the family out to cut down a tree this year. I have heard multiple times that the Evanston district always has permits. Does anyone on here have any suggestions on where to go to get a tree in that district?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Evanston/Mountain View Ranger Districts
Rick Schuler - District Ranger
PO Box 1880
1565 Highway 150 South, Suite A
Evanston, WY 82931-1880
307-789-3194

Open Mon-Fri, we picked up our permit the day after Thanksgiving when we went the Evanston route 3 years ago, last 2 years we did the Manti-La Sal tree permit because you can just call and order over the phone with a card, comes in the mail a few days later. The Evanston permit requires a pretty long drive, but if you have access to a snowmobile you can get back in pretty far and find a perfect tree.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Evanston/Mountain View Ranger Districts
Rick Schuler - District Ranger
PO Box 1880
1565 Highway 150 South, Suite A
Evanston, WY 82931-1880
307-789-3194

Open Mon-Fri, we picked up our permit the day after Thanksgiving when we went the Evanston route 3 years ago, last 2 years we did the Manti-La Sal tree permit because you can just call and order over the phone with a card, comes in the mail a few days later. The Evanston permit requires a pretty long drive, but if you have access to a snowmobile you can get back in pretty far and find a perfect tree.

Thanks. I have that. I was looking for suggestions from folks with experience on where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Seems like skyline area is close and permits are cheap. Are tree's up there worth cutting? We have been talking about this for years.. but it ends up being much easier to go to Harmons and buy one :-\

Seven

I have no Idea on Evanston. But Ashley national forest(Vernal/Roosevelt area) sells them. flaming gorge is Ashley national forest and you could cut your tree there.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Sorry. Skyline Dr, Fairview area.

It is usually snowed in just past the parking lots by Thanksgiving and is great if you have a sled or ATV, may not be the case this year though unless there is some serious drifting from this storm or we get a lot of snow from this next storm system on Sunday. You can watch some of the SR31 road conditions on the UDOT website and get an idea of how it is up there.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Update. I'm back in town and still heading to Evanston Saturday to get my Griswald Family Christmas started right. I called the ranger station and they gave me some suggestions on where to go to find the best trees, if the roads are passable.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

McFate

We're thinking of heading down to the Fairview area this weekend for a tree. Anyone been down there recently, or have an idea what the roads are like? Doesn't seem like there's going to be a ton a snow, but I haven't been down there for a while.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have bought the permit from the ranger station in Evanston a few times and there is also the resort 30 miles south on highway 150 that you can buy the permit from as well. You can drive until the snow stops you and then just walk off the side of the road and choose a tree of your choice. When you get the permit they also give you a map of where you can get the trees. I think you can also go to Heber and hit the ranger station there and go that route up highway 150 and get a tree as well.

I remember in 2003 I cut a tree the day after thanksgiving and then my unit got deployed so I didnt have time to dispose of the tree so I put it in my front yard still in the stand... when I came back in March it was still fresh. Makes me wonder when they actually start cutting trees at the tree lots due to they are dead by christmas most the time.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
87d0fe8e43137a44b85771efc085827a.jpg

Went up 058 a few miles and settled on this when the family had enough hunting. We'll see if they want to do it again next year.

Had fun playing the snow at a minimum.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It is usually snowed in just past the parking lots by Thanksgiving and is great if you have a sled or ATV, may not be the case this year though unless there is some serious drifting from this storm or we get a lot of snow from this next storm system on Sunday. You can watch some of the SR31 road conditions on the UDOT website and get an idea of how it is up there.

See above, link is here http://commuterlink.utah.gov/

We're thinking of heading down to the Fairview area this weekend for a tree. Anyone been down there recently, or have an idea what the roads are like? Doesn't seem like there's going to be a ton a snow, but I haven't been down there for a while.