Clarke tank for 02 yz250 fit a 99 yz250?

jentzschman

RMATV has the Clarke brand tanks, but the oldest year is a 2002 and I have a 99. From what I gather, the tank should fit fine as the 99-(pretty much) present yz's are all about the same*

So, will a Clarke tank made for a 2002 yz250 fit on a 99 yz250?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Nope. 2002 they switched to the alum. sub frame. The front plastics are shaped differently and will not match the '01 and older plastics. you may be able to switch tanks and get newer fender shrouds.. but I am not sure.
I have an '03 tank and shrouds here if you want to test fit them..

jentzschman

Nope. 2002 they switched to the alum. sub frame. The front plastics are shaped differently and will not match the '01 and older plastics. you may be able to switch tanks and get newer fender shrouds.. but I am not sure.
I have an '03 tank and shrouds here if you want to test fit them..

Ya, I would love to test fit them, thanks Brian. Oh, btw, that cover you lent for that linkage part is at Steve's, just to let you know.

D

Deleted member 12904

When I had my 99 YZ 250 I picked up a desert tank for a 02 thinking it would be easy to swap over also. It is definitely doable but the plastic is different like others have said the mounts are different I messed around with it for a bit and ended up just buying a tank for my bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'm confused. Why cant you order an IMS, Clarke or Acerbis tank from somewhere else and have one that's made for your 99? RMATV might not have one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Unless I'm missing something..

D

Deleted member 12904

No, don't do it. It will look like SH*t. You will be able to find what your looking for.
I was completely joking

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rholbrook

Andrew, they still make that tank new. Both Clark and IMS make them but they are $200 new. They show up used on Ebay quite often for under $100 or on ThumperTalk.

jentzschman

I'm confused. Why cant you order an IMS, Clarke or Acerbis tank from somewhere else and have one that's made for your 99? RMATV might not have one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Unless I'm missing something..

I like rmatv is all. Earn cash bucks, or whatever they call it. I think I will have to end up getting it else where, just wanted to check is all.

Oh good. That only about 15 miles from where it should be ;)

:rofl: I'll get it back soon, have no fear! ;)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I like rmatv is all. Earn cash bucks, or whatever they call it. I think I will have to end up getting it else where, just wanted to check is all.

:rofl: I'll get it back soon, have no fear! ;)

If you aren't ordering everything from RMATV through Caleb you are wasting a lot of money. Really, I can't say enough good stuff about how much money Caleb has saved me and how fast he is at getting stuff ordered.

Caleb

If you aren't ordering everything from RMATV through Caleb you are wasting a lot of money. Really, I can't say enough good stuff about how much money Caleb has saved me and how fast he is at getting stuff ordered.

Thanks, I do my best but sometimes I get swamped at my job that actually pays me and I'm a little slow to respond :D

FWIW, I can get the IMS tank for your bike from RMATV. Their price is $247.99, my cost on it is $211.72 to your door. That includes shipping, fees, etc. I can get about the same kind of discount on the Clarkes, but as you know, they don't carry one for your year. If the newer one will fit, I'd be happy to price that for you. I know it's quite common for the yamahas to have to do some swapping for the tanks, such as certain year WR450s require you to use YZ plastics with some of the aftermarket tanks (I think it's with the IMS tank). Or the Clarke for the WR450 requires you to flip your fuel petcock around so it's backwards.

After having installed both Clarkes and IMS tanks, I would pay the little extra for the IMS, but that's just me. The IMS is also slightly larger (3.6 vs. 3.1).