coilover vs 1/4 elliptic

rice

Me and my buddies were having a discussion about which is better for pure off-road driving. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Either way. The link geometry has more to do with how the vehicle works than the spring/shock combo. Coilovers typically use higher-quality shock absorbers than most people use for 1/4 elliptic or coil spring applications, so they have an advantage there. They're also much easier to "tune" the damping to your liking.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not that I have much experience with Coilovers, but......

I agree with I Lean, the link layout determines the ability to function correctly. If I were building a Linked rig and money wasn't a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to run Coilovers. They are very adjustable and function in a predictable manner (Link setup has to be right!)

Plus with coilovers, you can Baja like you name is Ivan Stewart!!
:D

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
1/4 eliptical all the way man...

Hehe, I say that because of cost.

Coilovers are by far better in my opinion, but 1/4's are much much cheaper.

Hey how about for high speed.....?

I heard that 1/4's are among the best for hight speed.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Originally posted by SuperRunner

I wouldn't think so. You never see trophy trucks using 1/4 elliptical suspension. The only reason you see 1/4 at all in desert racing is so certain classes can get much better wheel travel and control, while still retaining "leaf springs" like they need to.

Caleb

Well bang for the buck I would say 1/4 elip...but since the question was which is better for pure offroad driving I would say coilovers...like everyone else has said there is determining factors to how well your link suspension will work and link placement is a key factor...also IF you have the links all sorted out already then there is nothing easier to mount than a coilover...like putting on a BIG shock...you can get massive controlled travel with them too...1/4 elip you really cant get as much controlled travel...IMO:D

Caleb

Originally posted by SuperRunner

I agree with I Lean...as long as you have remote res. and they're mounted properly then coilovers I *think* dominate the 1/4 elip setup all day in high speed:D