Colorado Riding - Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I decided to make a quick, solo daytrip to the San Juans today. The plan was to ride from GJ to Ouray, up Red Mountain pass to the trailhead of Black Bear. BB ends in Telluride and you can pick up Imogene Pass from T-Ride and head over the mountains back to Ouray. From there I hit the highway for the long ride home. Just over 260 miles on the bike for the day.

I took the GoPro, so I may have a video later on.

I took my time getting on the road this morning, left after 8 AM made it back to GJ before 5 PM. Rode nothing more than the above plan, as it was enough when combined with all the slab. I'm beat! This was my first time over Black Bear on the bike...the ride was good, Black Bear was about what I expected... pretty steep in a few places, kept my speed to a crawl and just rolled thru the rough stuff. After the Stairs on BB, I ran into a couple from Utah on a KTM 990 Adventure! They had ridden BB ahead of me, she walked while he rode over the rough sections... much respect to them! The 690 wasn't bad, but I couldn't imagine riding a 990 over it.

Imogene was no biggie... fun riding for sure. Dusty in places, wet in others. It was fun!

20130817_111833_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130817_111926-X2.jpg

20130817_114142_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130817_124648_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130817_124333_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130817_124433_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
:chris: Oh man looks like so much fun!

One of these days. One of these days.

Sooner is always better than later! :D

Finally got the video edited and uploaded! The descent starts at 5:00 min, the trail gets sketchy at 7:30 minutes. Enjoy... I sure did!

[video=youtube;Wg0lQO3neco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0lQO3neco[/video]

GAR

Wow cool. Those are some narrow roads with big drop offs! Do most people go the direction you did? so they go down the steps and not up?

Greg

Admin
Wow cool. Those are some narrow roads with big drop offs! Do most people go the direction you did? so they go down the steps and not up?

Yeah, Black Bear is no joke! Just before the 'steep' parts, the trail becomes one way until the Powerhouse... for good reason! The standard route is the way I went, from Red Mountain over to Telluride. There isn't much room for turnouts as you saw and the switchbacks are extremely steep & tight.

There were some places on the Steps where I picked the best line that I could and just had to roll thru it... let gravity do it's work! :eek:

Greg

Admin
And... the other half of the ride...

[video=youtube;_tNRJv7Tgq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNRJv7Tgq4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3hyW69nuc5PInZAoiIryIg[/video]