common sas for tocoma?

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations
A Toyota axle won't work unless you run a Diamond housing or swap the transfer case, the factory Toyota solid axles have the diff on the wrong side (and are pretty narrow). Dana 44s seem to be most common, but All-Pro or Diamond have a hybrid axle that you could run, or you could use a Dana 60 or a 609 hybrid. Basically anything with a driver side diff.

choptopbII

d44 out of a jeep waggy is probably the most common, If i was to go through with sasing a taco I would probably opt for a D60 out of a ford just because i don't think a d44 would hold up to the abuse i would put it through.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
It all depends on the size of tire you plan on doing as well as how hard you are going to be on it. I have a d60 in mine running 37's. If I were to do it over again I would have run a diamond axle or something similar as there are a few options out there that will allow you to still run the toyota stuff and would run 35's.

Cottle

[0++13
My brother is toying doing the sas... IF he went d60, how much width difference is there between his rear axle and the d60? would he need to replace the rear... wheel spacers.. sorry axles any different than the toy 8" is unfamiliar ground for me

lewis

Fight Till You Die
A d60 toy rear combo really makes no sense even with spacers since the rear isn't a one ton axle. If going to a one ton front is the choice then he really needs to put a one ton rear end in it.

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations
My brother is toying doing the sas... IF he went d60, how much width difference is there between his rear axle and the d60? would he need to replace the rear... wheel spacers.. sorry axles any different than the toy 8" is unfamiliar ground for me

Most front 60s are about 70 inches wide and all are 8 lug from the factory, while the rear Tacoma axle is 60 inches wide and six lug. It would likely be more expensive to narrow the front axle and change the bolt pattern than it would be to just find a Dana 60, Dana 70, or 14 Bolt one ton rear axle to match the front.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer

Is he planning on keeping the truck street legal? If not, go with the 60s uncut, but if he is, it's going to get more expensive to narrow them down. I think it would be a PITA to have two different lug patterns.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
How come?

because of this
Most front 60s are about 70 inches wide and all are 8 lug from the factory, while the rear Tacoma axle is 60 inches wide and six lug. It would likely be more expensive to narrow the front axle and change the bolt pattern than it would be to just find a Dana 60, Dana 70, or 14 Bolt one ton rear axle to match the front.

and having a near 5 inch spacer on each side would be a bad idea and going without spacers makes for a weird looking vehicle. Also whats the point of having one ton beef and then running half ton stuff in the rear? I ran the opposite combo before (1/2 ton front , 1 ton rear) and it didn't work to well since I was always breaking the front.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
What are you going to do with it?

Cheapest: Coil spacers in on stock coil struts. Rack an pinion coil strut IFS is very capable on the trail.

Cheap: Waggy 44 (they are almost free) with stock rear axle.

In the middle (not worried about tires sticking out): Full width hp60 front with 1ton rear.

Big money: Narrowed hp60 with six lug conversion or Diamond or 609

Then you have to factor in suspension and steering which could cost similar amounts with any of the above solid axles.

billylight

id do the 44. you'll get a lot of clearance, lighter weight and with after market shafts, 37s would be fine for a toyota. ive yet to see people wheel full body rigs especially tacomas, hard enough to validate a dana 60 unless you just have a death wish for your rig?