Northern Utah Comp time to burn, anyone want to get out Tuesday or Thursday of this week?

Troop92

Comp time to burn, anyone want to get out Tues, Wed, Thurs of this week?

Seems whenever I try to get out, everyone is willing to show me some of the trails but something comes up... If at first you don't succeed, try again. I leave on Friday for Maine, to what will most likely be a final goodbye to my Father-in-law. I need some decompression time before I go, or I'm not going to be much help to anyone.

I have Tuesday, Wed afternoon, and Thursday clear - anyone up to showing me a trail or two? I'll have a cooler full of drinks in tow and would appreciate a guide, so to speak, as I've never really done too much up north, apart from Hardware Ranch area.

Last edited:

Troop92

Thanks ModStock. Never been to either of those.

Still hoping to get out before I leave Friday, just need to figure out where.

Troop92

My boss hijacked my day today, but I'm def doing something tomorrow (Thurs Oct 31st). Where should I go? Most likely solo.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Try the B in Bountiful and go up Old Ward Canyon, or do Skyline drive over to Farmington. You can go by Francis Peak and drive on all the roads that go in different directions. I can easily blow a day exploring up there.

Troop92

Try the B in Bountiful and go up Old Ward Canyon, or do Skyline drive over to Farmington. You can go by Francis Peak and drive on all the roads that go in different directions. I can easily blow a day exploring up there.

UP Old Ward Canyon? Can you get to it from the bottom, or do you mean drive up Skyline and then down it? And with the snow/rain and running solo, I'd be better off to keep it pretty lowkey I think. Bumper/winch is on my wishlist for later. Much, much later.... :rolleyes:

The B might have to suffice, at least for a quick fix. I seem to be in that awkward "gowing pains" spot, the one where your rig is more than stock but less than built -- seems trails are super easy or way over my head!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
To go up Old Ward, you go up to the play area, climb the hill (pick the line you want that goes up), and run it in the up direction. Not too hard, but does have some pucker factor to it. Nothing special needed to make it up. Just tire placement and 4wd low.

Troop92

Nice. Only exposure to Old Ward was coming from the top, and I was solo then too. Got into it (first rock garden) and backed out. 'Course, this was when Trooper has stock suspension and tires too. :D

Then again, might head down to AF Canyon, assuming it's still open. How much snow fell down that way I wonder... Or 5 Mile. I just gotta get out!

Last edited:

utekrawler

I might go up AF canyon for a night run tomorrow night. Last I heard they are closing it November 1st so I need to get in one last hurrah! As for snow there isn't much in Alpine but I cant be sure for up the canyon. Also 5 mile would be good if you want something simple. If you get stuck however it is a longer walk to civilization. Ha

Troop92

Dang, I hope they don't close it on the 1st... Finally get my rig running and I don't get up AF. :(

It's been forever since I've been out at all, and the upcoming week is going to be brutal. I just wanna get out.

Troop92

Just talked to the SL Ranger District. Closure up Farmington/Ward Canyons in Davis Co starts TOMORROW, Nov 1st. As in they lock the gates tomorrow. So, it's today or nothing to run Skyline above Bountiful.

Last edited: