Computer guys! Little help?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Windows 7 machine, got super laggy and then wouldn't complete a reboot. It tries to run startup repair but hangs for several hours on "attempting repairs", and I get the same result trying to boot from a boot disc in the cd drive.

Do I need to give Startup Repair longer to work? Five hours seems excessive. I'm assuming this is likely to be a hardware trouble at this point, any tips for isolating what exactly has gone bad?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Seems like its hosed to me but I just clean install when I have any trouble like this. Five hours also seems excessive to me and I don't know that I'd say its necessarily hardware either. How old is the hardware and how long has the software been installed? Anything super critical on the hard drive that you need to get off? (there always is...) How full was the hard drive when it started to lag?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm wondering if there's a Windows 7 update that's gone bad, my computer started having issues a couple days ago, I rolled back to a previous restore point before the updates were installed and it's stable. When I allow it to install updates I get to starting windows and then the monitor goes black and the keyboard no longer responds. 5 hours is way too long, I don't give it more than 15 minutes if it doesn't look like it's doing anything.

You may have to boot into safe mode to get there if it's really messed up. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-system-restore-command-prompt#1TC=windows-7

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I had an windows update that hung my computer. I had to have them do a complete install of the windows 7. If you can get into safe mode look to see how much space on the hard drive you have. usually when it gets laggy its a memory issue. if you don't have alot of ram it uses part of your hard drive and does a swap of data. this slows it all down and if there is no space on the hard drive it just hangs there.

Brad J

We had a Computer at work that must have got the same update & acted the same a week ago. We ended up letting it do its thing over the weekend & on Monday it let us log in without problems. We were getting worried though when other things were not working before that. We hit the Num Lock & the light would respond so we knew it wasn't locked up.

Kevin B.

Will it boot into safe mode? Is there a hardware diagnostics utility available preboot?

Safe mode hangs while loading drivers. The boot disc has a memory diag utikity, that's running clean. It can't find my system restore point, so won't boot that. I burned a dban disc a while back, but Nate's right and things were not backed up. That's gonna hurt if I have to resort to that..

Kevin B.

OK, so I ran the memory diag utility on the boot disc, it found no trouble. It rebooted on it's own after that and everything came up fine? Seems to have bypassed whatever was causing it to hang. Dunno, computers are weird. I'm backing everything up right now, and then it's nukin' time!

Kevin B.

Nuked and reinstalled, everything appears to be groovy. Reinstalling was a PITA though, since when will Windows not let you DL a bootable ISO just because you don't have a "retail" copy? Very lame. Had to find one on a torrent, and I hate torrents.