considering buying a F250-F350; what to look for and avoid

rondo

rondo
I need a truck to tow with a few times a year and i'm considering a 2000-2005ish F250/F350 4x4 for occasional use. I know i want to stay away from the V10, Diesels, and anything with a lift kit. Also considering a camper for the back. Want an extra cab or crew for the fam. My budget is $10k.

1. what years to look for?
2. what to avoid?
3. what mechanical issues are common?
4. anything else?

I love my 2010 crewcab 4x4 silverado because the 5.3 is pretty easy on gas but i just can't see wearing it out on a commute anymore, and the payments are tiresome.

after that i guess it's time to look for a commuter car or mini pickup.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I need a truck to tow with a few times a year and i'm considering a 2000-2005ish F250/F350 4x4 for occasional use. I know i want to stay away from the V10, Diesels, and anything with a lift kit. Also considering a camper for the back. Want an extra cab or crew for the fam. My budget is $10k.

2. what to avoid?
4. anything else?

I love my 2010 crewcab 4x4 silverado because the 5.3 is pretty easy on gas but i just can't see wearing it out on a commute anymore, and the payments are tiresome.

1. what years to look for? If V10 (and I'm kind of a fan if you get the 4.30 gears) get the newest one you can. If diesel get the 7.3L. I don't know that I'd get the 5.4L as it just doesn't seem up to the task of heavy towing. If you're only towing a rig on a trailer, I think it'll do the job. More than that and I think you'll want one of the bigger motors.
2. what to avoid? 6.0L diesels....I guess there are some good fixes out there for them, but I'm still pretty hesitant. The truck they are packaged in is quite nice and might be worth the annoyance. I hear if you do an EGR replacement, stud the heads and a few other things (adding up to $4500-6000) they are good trucks.
3. what mechanical issues are common? 4R100 automatic trans will need a rebuild around 100-150K depending on how the truck was treated. I've heard ever 70-100K after that but don't really know.
4. anything else? I had issue with electric door lock switches and window switches----the stupid vacuum hubs have been troublesome for some people. I prefer a lever for the transfer case rather than a switch. Good luck finding a lever, though

FWIW, I'd like to find (rare as hens teeth) a later model, V10 manual trans F350 or F450. I'd like to think that'd be a very long term truck for me. We'll see what I dig up...

(oh, my '04 Cummins will be up for sale within the next 6-10 months if you want to wait....I've got a LOT of $ in fixes in that truck. I assume it'll be good for the new owner?)

I just got rid of my 2001 F250 I bought new. Auto/V-10. I had motor and tranny problems at under 90,000 miles.

Four Ford dealers and none could resolve the intermittent tranny problem where it would kick out and freewheel on descent in the mountains (which was my primary concern for getting rid of it). Secondary to that, it would periodically start upshift/downshift/upshift/downshift for no reason (at times just taking off from a stop running empty). None of this occurred before it was about 7 years old with about 60,000 miles on the tranny. And yes, the truck was serviced on schedule or ahead of schedule. I've heard the 2002 and later trannies are better than the 2000/2001 trannies. I've heard a 2001 tranny is likely to be fine if it's been rebuilt.

As for the motor! Metallurgy stupidity on the part of Ford. Check the exhaust manifold studs as they rust, deteriorate, and literally fall (break) off. I averaged about 11/12 mpg hauling a 26 ft travel trailer around the country. Best highway empty was 17.5 running (I believe) 3:73 gears.

If you get one with manual locking hubs... have them swapped out because they are junk plastic and don't work worth diddly in the cold when you decide you need them!

If you are not in a hurry to cross the mountains, the 5.4 will probably work out for you... the v-10 will get you there a little quicker and easier... the 7.3 diesel you can set the cruise control!!! :)

I know run a 2012 Duramax/Allison!!! I'm a happy traveler!!!

Roger

mombobuggy

I love my 99 v10 f 250 it has been 99% trouble free the only problem I can report is the vacuum hose on the intake caused it to run weird for a few days til I found the problem. cheap fix. I am currently at 118000 thousand miles tires and brake pads are about all it has needed so far. and I change the oil every 3000 miles the a.t.f. every year cheap preventative maintenance but it always looks new. wish it had a bigger fuel tank 260 mile range is kinda dumb 25 gallon. there are aftermarket tanks available for more capacity. at this point I am so glad I got the v10 the truck had 32000 when I bought it from a lady who used it to haul her grand kids and her small trailer with two harleys inside. mostly we have just used it for commuting feels safer for my family than some little car. 4 door crew cab auto 4x4 6.5 foot bed thats about it I like my truck.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have a 2000, 4.10 gears, 5.4L, 4wd, Auto, Supercab longbed, stock size Yokohoma Geolander ATS tires, no lift.

It's relatively light for how huge it is. 5150lbs. My total weight towing (Truck, Trailer, and Jeep) (with my old trailer that was 400lbs lighter) was 10500lbs.

My Wife DD's it.

Issues in the 3 years I've owned it:
1.) Changing two coils and plugs that had some water sit in the plug valleys and wreck them.

2.) I've replaced the balljoints and they are cheap and easy. The vacuum hubs work well if you remember to grease and or replace the o-rings when you have them disassembled.

3.) Broken steering shock shaft: I don't know how I did that... but a new HD one from 4WP was like $30.

I've averaged 13mpg towing (I wheel a lot). 14.7mpg mixed driving, I can get 17mpg on the freeway if I drive like a grandpa. The only time I really wish for more power is: heavily loaded, on a long tow, or ridiculous grades.
30+ gallon tank. I've squeezed over 440 miles out of a tank before and still had some left.

I've heard you can swap the diesel "Y" pipe to pickup some more power. That's on my list of mods to do.

My only niggles are I need new front shocks (155k miles will do that) and (my wife says) lack of steering power at low speeds (less than 5mph).... but not in low range.

These trucks are well equipped to do lots of miles. Stock power steering cooler and big trans cooler are very nice. Nice comfy seats. It'll never overheat (same radiator as the huge 7.3 diesel).
It holds over 1 gallon of windshield washer fluid (kinda cool).

And in my opinion the styling is nice. Most (non-car) people I've talked to think it's 5 year old.
I feel like mine is worth $10,500.

Last edited:
I had the fuel tank replaced with a 46 gallon transfer flow that was a direct replacement for the stock tank. Considering all my trips usually were at least 1000 miles (or more) one way... it just didn't make sense not to switch! Was the best investment I ever made on that truck. It did get me some looks from time to time at the pump when the $$$$ just kept rolling by.... and I say "glad she wasn't empty today!" LOL

I also added a K&N cold air intake and that proved to be about a 1 to 1 1/2 mpg improvement on long trips most notably in the mountain pulls and in the heat of the southwest.

BTW - I typically CAT scaled at about 14,000 GCVW.

Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I wonder if there's an appreciable difference between F250 and F350.

A little bit heavier frame and a D60 in the front of the F350.

btw, I love my '02 7.3. I planned on rebuilding the tranny when I got it, and did so at about the 110,000 mark, and now I'm at 180k or so, running strong. Mine is an eXcursion, but I'd buy the same thing in an '02 crewcab shortbed in a second, and I'd have the same transmission shop do the tranny, run the same tuner, ported turbo, etc. And I'd make it red. Or white. Or maybe lime green. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I could bore you with the nuances of what truck got what axle, but sufficed to say: look at the front axle of it's pre 02.5. Excursions never got a 60.
And the real difference between the 250 & 350 is spring rate, gear ratio (based on motor and ordered preference) and that front axle.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
^this. People will argue about brake size and what not but they are wrong. 05 and newer have bigger brakes that won't fit in 16" wheels. I've had several SD's and have loved them. The 6.0 has issues but they are known and fixable. Add the price to fix them to the purchase price and you are still way under the cost of a DMax and have a solid truck with way more room and a solid axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thenag

I have a 2000 f250 with a 5.4 and a 5speed. I have never really towed with it, if you can find a trailer we can take it out to see how it will do.

it has 225,000 miles and is extremely reliable. It is not un-common to get 200,000-300,000 out of a 5.4L They have had issues with spark plugs coming out, the PI heads are better than the older ones (PI started in 2000, do a google search there is a "PI" stamped on the head)

The rest of the truck is solid, the interior is still great. I snagged a center console from an 02 (with cup holders, the dash cup holders launch cups all the time) The drivers seat has a little wear on it as all trucks do. The only major issue I have had is that the fuel pump died and left me standard in my garage a few years ago. It is original motor, tranny, clutch, t-case, wheel bearings, alternator, a/c still works (although doesn't blow super cold anymore and probably just needs a re-charge)

The zf 5 speed is awesome, there is a 6 speed that was an option as well. They both have a granny gear that is synchronized so you can use it to get heavy loads going and downshift into it.

We just bought a new car which means the truck has to last, when the motor goes I will seriously look at dropping a new 5.0L from an f150 into it with a standalone EEC so I can keep the 5 speed. (the new 5.0L should bolt up to the tranny, fit in the bay and will have much more power than even a re-built 5.4)

The other thing to be aware of is that around 2005, I think when they added the variable cam timing, they started using these funky spark plugs with long shanks that will rust into the head and break off when replacing spark plugs. I guess it is only an issue with the original spark plugs. It is super common and any decent mechanic will be able to take care of them, as well as many removal kits etc.

I think you should be able to stay under budget, I think kbb on mine is only like $6000.00 or something.

I know it was covered on a towing thread on hear, if you are only towing a rig to Moab a few times a year, it is worth it to put up with an under-powered truck for those few trips a year so you don't have to put up with a diesel the rest of the year...

nathan

Toad

2. what to avoid?
4. anything else?

You want to stay away from v-10 or diesel? That only leaves you with the 5.4 v8. They seem a little small for heavy hauling. Have you looked at a older 460 ford. Yes the mileage unloaded will suck. Towing I have gotten 10 out of one. You should be able to locate one with decent miles for well under 5k.

when i was buying mine in 01, it seemed like the four packages that made the biggest difference in OEM equipment was trailer towing, slide-in camper, snow plow, and ambulance service. not sure if you can still run a VIN to get the build information as I've not done it in years.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
The 5.4 will tow fine depending on how much you are towing.. I have the F-150 with the 5.4 and it will tow our 22' camper or my 4runner with no problem. Of course with the V10 or diesel you will pull faster and better, but remember not to long ago we were pulling everything with the 5.0 and were very happy with that. If it were me I would stay away from the V10 but thats my opinion. If you want diesel the 7.3 is a no brainer.

thenag

The 5.4 will tow fine depending on how much you are towing.. I have the F-150 with the 5.4 and it will tow our 22' camper or my 4runner with no problem. Of course with the V10 or diesel you will pull faster and better, but remember not to long ago we were pulling everything with the 5.0 and were very happy with that. If it were me I would stay away from the V10 but thats my opinion. If you want diesel the 7.3 is a no brainer.

What year 5.4? the variable cam timing will be better than the older ones

Hey I'm happy with 3.5L towing now :)

Yeah but if you threw direct injection and twin turbos on a 5.4... not sure where I am going... someone make a joke out of that...

Nathan