Considering relocation to Hurricane/Dixie Springs area

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I haven't spent enough time down there to have a good feel for it. I'm toying with the idea of living down there.

Besides heat in the summer, are there any significant reasons to not want to live down there? Winter on the rocks has been really windy both times I've been there. Is there a windy season? Was that a fluke?

Dixie springs specifically - I'm surprised this area hasn't been discussed more on RME. World class rock crawling in your back yard, inexpensive property ($30-40k for .25 acre). Close proximity to St George. No lots big enough for a shop, but I think a 3 car garage is sufficient for my needs. Really considering buying a lot now to build on in in 3-6 years. Or just bagging everything I have going right now and making the leap.

Do you live there and like it? Why or why not?

Would you live there? Why or why not?

Cascadia

Undecided
Where is Dixie springs? We have a place in Washington which is close. We love it down there and would live there full time if I could move my construction company down there and stay busy. So many jeep trails, riding trails, and running trails. The atmosphere is great. Not sure how close this is to Dixie Springs though. Very close to Hurricane. We have only had a few windy days down there in the past few years. I think the windy wotr might be a fluke for you.

Caleb

We've been toying with the idea of buying a second home down there. We only get down there a couple times a year but we enjoy the sun too much not to at least consider it. The last couple years we've been down there we've rented a house in Hurricane area and have really liked the location.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Dixie springs is the newer neighborhood just north of sand hollow reservoir. It would literally be less than 5 minutes to the sand dunes and the crawling area.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I love Hurricane and would definitely like a vacation home down there one day. I know Kevin (kmboren) likes living down there in La Verkin but it's too hot for me during the summer. I hate how hot it is in the SL valley right now so I can't imagine what it's like down there. I'd also be concerned about the kid not being able to play outside as much because it's just too hot.

I make it down there at least a few times a year and we always seem to have at least one windy day out of the weekend but I could also be the exception not the rule...

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I love it down here. It is hot Yes. But the way I look at it is I would rather have 3 months of Hot weather than 4-5 months of Cold. I ride a Honda Magna to and from work and I can ride every month of the year. This area does get windy with the change of fronts. More Hurricane and the Green springs area than others. I don't' think it is constantly windy but when it blows it can blow pretty hard. I plan on living in Southern Utah the rest of my life. There are some nice Lots down the street from me that overlook the River on a cliff edge that are all larger than 1/3 for around that same price. They are off of 170 S in La Verkin.

blznnp

camping down there a few weeks ago, down at sand hallow, made me want to get a place down there, my wife would never move down there but I wouldn't want to move there full time, I don't do good with the heat. But I wouldn't mind a place down there, close enough to get away, nice weather, awesome scenery (or so I think) it was a little windy but not that much when we were there. I thought you wanted to pick up piece of land in eagle mountain but it was to far, dixie springs is a little further.

Caleb

I think kmboren nailed it, I'd rather have 2-3 months of super hot weather than even a single month of snow, let alone 4-5+ months of cold. I've got family down south and they say you learn to deal with the heat, you do things in the morning and in the evening and stay inside during the day during the hottest months. If I could find a job down there doing what I do, I'd move my family down there in a second.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My wife's grandmother lives in Hurricane and we avoid visiting in the summer because of the heat, I'll take our weak northern winters over the extreme southern heat anytime, part of our motivation to move to Morgan is to get out of the inversion and heat.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I *think* I'll like the heat over the winter. Grew up in western Montana and I've hated winter since I was a kid. I've never lived in an area that regularly sees 100+, so I'm rolling the dice a bit. I dislike humid heat, but I think I tolerate dry heat rather well.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Less than a year later... After visiting regularly since starting this thread, we decided Dixie Springs was too far from everything.

We ended up building just off Washington fields road and closed last weekend. Very central location, about a mile from Costco and the rec center, and only 10 minutes from sand hollow.

Excited to move in about a month, ready for the next stage of life!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Congrats to you both! No job change required, Ben?

Kind of! We've really downsized our living expenses a ton lately and re-prioritized our whole lives. Coming to the realization that time>money has been really liberating.

Really considering buying a lot now to build on in in 3-6 years. Or just bagging everything I have going right now and making the leap.

Essentially I went with option 2 :D

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Congrats Benji. I am out in La Verkin. When you get settled if you want to hit some trails let me know.
Kevin 8ol five nine 2 4 9 two 4.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Congrats Benjy! That's awesome! Sounds like you are doing what I'm currently dreaming about. Good luck man!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Congrats Benji. I am out in La Verkin. When you get settled if you want to hit some trails let me know.

I will definitely be doing that. We are lacking local wheeling friends down there :cool:

Congrats Benjy! That's awesome! Sounds like you are doing what I'm currently dreaming about. Good luck man!

Thanks Shane, seems like I've really been pushed to do it this for the last year. We've slowed down a bit since we last spoke, but will be going live with everything pretty soon.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks Shane, seems like I've really been pushed to do it this for the last year. We've slowed down a bit since we last spoke, but will be going live with everything pretty soon.

Good to hear! You let me know if I can help with anything. I like working with you, you're a good man. :cool:

Bart

Congrats, and I'm jealous. Love it down there. Hopefully we'll be seeing you more down that way for some wheeling than we did here.