convertable toyota pick up

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
My buddy just bought an 88 sas Toyota single cab. After no more than five minutes getting familiar(or unfamiliar) with the truck out at little Moab, he rolled it. It smashed his windshield and bent his A pillars pretty bad. Being his daily driver its going to need a new roof, and since I cant find it in me to leave anything alone I’m going to make it have a removable top. I want to do a super clean job with this and I want the truck to remain a functional daily driver.

so here it goes..

This is the truck with the top smashed after towing it to my house.
IMG00318.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
then by using the sweet "coin rub" method that i learned in kindergarten i was able to make a template of the b pilar out of paper

then, using the paper as a stencil i cut it out of metal

here is the metal cut out

i made 2 identical metal cut outs of the pattern and welded one to the top and one to the cab. notice that i made it stick out about 3/4 inch on the interior side for bolts to go through
IMG00333.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i then welded the new a pillars to the rest of the cab. i did this with the rest of the top still intact, i did that to insure that the angles were perfect. i also made sure that the cut and weld was below the fender line so that the fender would hide the weld

where did the weld go?
IMG00328.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
now i re cut the top off, this is sort of what the finished product will look like
IMG00330.jpg

here is the removable part
IMG00332.jpg

Last edited:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Nice work!! That interior roll cage saved the B pillars from bending low in the cab & messing things up!:)

If he is aggressive enough to roll it his first time out you might suggest an added bed bar or exo cage to stop him from smashing all your nice work:eek::-\!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Thanks! at first I was just going to use bolts to bolt it together from the metal cut out plates, but now I’ve been thinking about making a 6" pole that slides down the b pillar to line things up, sort of like an fj40 top, I think that combined with bolts to hold it together will make it super slick. the cage that’s in there held for the roll, and would most likely save him a few more times but in my opinion its pretty ugly so once he gets a bit more funds, we defiantly are going to build him a super sweet cage.