Cool nerdy science video

sixstringsteve

I stumbled across this and thought it was very cool. I don't exactly understand what's going on 100%, but it's fascinating.

[video=youtube;zPqEEZa2Gis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqEEZa2Gis[/video]

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's another that from a while back. :cool:

[video=youtube;Ws6AAhTw7RA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA[/video]

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Dammit. Now I need to know why the magnetic field of the superconductor is persistent.

What do you mean by persistent? I think I can answer your question, but I want to make sure I am answering the correct question.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
What do you mean by persistent? I think I can answer your question, but I want to make sure I am answering the correct question.

I was hoping you'd show up. At 3:54 he says if the magnet in the tube were a superconductor, then the magnetic field generated by its movement would not dissipate when it stopped moving. And that appears to be what's going on with the superconductor on the magnetic track - it seems to be held in one place by a static magnetic field.

Where's the force for that field coming from?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The force for the magnets is coming from the magnetic field.

With electrical fields, electricity must be put into the system. If looped the electricity never leaves. We are talking near zero resistance. Conduction on the order of billions of years.:eek:

Superconductors set up an electrical field on the surface. These surface currents expel the magnetic current on the inside of the superconductor. The two fields cancel each other out making the conduction "infinite".

Electricity like most things like the path of least resistance. When a conductor gets cooled enough it is "easier" for the ions to move along the surface rather than through the body of the conductor. It just happens that when this transition occurs a false state of diamagnatism occurs. The cooled magnetic field is opposite the regular magnetic field so the magnet "floats". It would float forever(in actuality as long as the material is cold enough).

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Tiny invisible aliens.

giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg