Corner Canyon - Any Hope?

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Is there any hope that Corner Canyon would ever be open to 4x4's ever again? I just took a trip along Upper Corner Canyon and remember the good old days of wheelin up there. You can even see most of Lower Corner Canyon from the main road. Man I miss wheelin so close to home...

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
No, most of it as I understand is, especially on the Alpine side is now private property, and was in the engineering phase to become houses in the next 10 years. I remember a few years back talking with some reps from Draper, and they said the access is permanently closed.

But its been awhile so things could have changed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Short answer no, long answer, not a chance. The majority of property below the main road is private, the majority above is USFS bordering the Lone Peak Wilderness Area. I sat in on some of the initial planning meetings with the city, FS and usergroups several years ago, it was quite obvious there was zero interest in continued motorized access. I took my dirtbike up there a few weeks ago (street legal) and enjoyed a trip down memory lane.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
The majority of property below the main road is private.......
Hmmm... sounds like we need a fund raiser to get enough funds to buy it! :thumbs: ha ha
To bad. If I had the money, I would seriously try to buy the land. As it is, I don't see that kind of money in my near future. ha

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hmmm... sounds like we need a fund raiser to get enough funds to buy it! :thumbs: ha ha
To bad. If I had the money, I would seriously try to buy the land. As it is, I don't see that kind of money in my near future. ha

At $100k+ per acre you would be pretty hard pressed to make anything happen, and thats just the property that is left, much is already built out. I grew up in Corner Canyon, my pops used to take me up there to shoot and we spent half of our high school years camping and wheeling up there. Really wished it could have been a different outcome but in reality it was impossible to fight development and a long existing Wilderness area. Just recently they started re-seeding some of the old roads where the fire was last year. Kinda broke my heart to think I'll never get to see them again.

pELYgroso

'Merica
are we talking about up behind alpine? I've been up there with my dirtbike a couple times this summer. I was coming up over the suncrest road towards highland last week and I looked up towards loan peak and saw a few sets of headlights up on the hill. it still gets used a little bit.

Draper parks briefly considered ATV trails but were (wrongly) told by "experts" that trails needed to be longer to be enjoyable. I suggested "challenge routes" (I think Kurt was part of that conversation too) but they already had the answer they wanted.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Draper parks briefly considered ATV trails but were (wrongly) told by "experts" that trails needed to be longer to be enjoyable. I suggested "challenge routes" (I think Kurt was part of that conversation too) but they already had the answer they wanted.

Yup, they were thinking they needed a giant parking lot for rigs & trailers and 10+ miles loops to start... so that quickly ruled out any thoughts of OHV's in the canyon.

mule2k

are we talking about up behind alpine? I've been up there with my dirtbike a couple times this summer. I was coming up over the suncrest road towards highland last week and I looked up towards loan peak and saw a few sets of headlights up on the hill. it still gets used a little bit.
The alpine side is considered Hog Hollow I don't believe it has been officially closed off. I think the Draper boundries actually stop on the ridge to the west of Hog Hollow canyon. Some of the developers in alpine will set up boulders in front of some of the trails just off the road but people will move them out of the way again. I know my father-in-law, the fire chief, has been having some issues with the developers in alpine trying to block access to hog hollow and for that reason I dont think it has been closed off. but once you get to the clearings on the top there are no-tresspassing signs all over the place.