Corporate 8.5 front axle

S-10Dave

K5/K10/K20 8.5" front axle assembly
It occurs to me that this axle is in low demand, those who don't insust on D60s prefer the older D44, and this axle offers manual hubs, better brakes than a D30, stronger 2.73 gears, i would just have to narrow it off the long side.
If you have one youd let go for less than scrap value, in northern Utah, please lmk.
Multi-Quote This Message
I Lean said:
Today 04:00 PM
I don't have one, but can you really find 2.73 gears in a 10 bolt? 3.73 for sure, but 2.73 is ridiculously tall...
Carl
Multi-Quote This Message

S-10Dave said:
Today 09:56 PM
Im not expecting to find one already loaded with 2.73s, but according to GM's Heritage Center, they did offer it, and a bit more research shows that the 2.73s from any of the mid 70s Camaros can be used in any of the GM corporate 8.5" front axles. And those 2.73s are not only stronger than the 2.72 D30 option, but also easier to find.
According to what i read on pirate4x4, i can poece together 30-spline inner shafts and stub shafts, making it as strong as the stock D44 in the late 70s K10, just have to swap the knuckles to D44 pieces if i want high steer.
These 8.5s are still common enough in the salvage yards, and i may end up hauling one home from Pick N Pull, but since the fullsize guys all want to replace them with D60s, i hoped for a cheaper score.

- - - Updated - - -

And why is it that every time i try to edit a typo it deletes the entire thread?!!!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What project are you working on that needs 2.73 gears?

I noticed from your other threads you were talking about a camaro. Maybe that....

Last edited: