Couple roofing questions

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm staring at this.

20161011_174558_zpsiigi9aot.jpg

Ok so here's what's up. The area with the missing sheathing was covered by sheathing and roll shingle and nothing else. It leaked, natch. When Tyler's crew did the roof on the house a couple years ago they laid their architectural shingles over the roll shingle that was already overlapped slightly onto the house sheathing. There was no existing underlayment or metal flashing. To remove the old roll shingle I had to tear/cut it at the edge of the architectural shingle because it was nailed down under there and I didn't want to tear up Tyler's nice pretty shingles. Once I get the sheathing replaced, what's my next step? I have Ready Roof underlayment and roll shingle that are going back on. I'm thinking I run the underlayment and roll shingle up to the edge of the architectural shingle, then insert a nice wide strip of metal flashing under the architectural shingle and over the roll shingle? Or does the metal go under both sets of shingle? Or is there a better way to do this that I'm not considering? Do I need to tear up those shingles? Because I'm not sure I know how to do that without ruining them, so I don't want to if I don't have to.

This doesn't need to last more than another three or four years before the garage and covered porch and everything are coming down. But as long as I'm putting in the effort I'd rather do it mostly right. Hook me up, RME. Bestow upon me your roofing wisdom.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
[video=youtube;ofMwxrWDUmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMwxrWDUmQ[/video]

I have nothing of value to add. :cody:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Flashing under the house shingles, on top of the rolled shingle. water needs to run down each lip. It cannot go up a lip, it will go under.