CRF250R 2007

rholbrook

The neighbor kid got excited and pulled the trigger on a 2007 CRF250R without talking to me first. I was out of town and he had cash burning a hole in his pocket. Long story short, it has been shimmed all the way out so we sent the head to FastHeads for a rebuild. Turns out it has been ported and polished already and of course, only the expensive rebuild was available because the guides had been shortened or something like that. Got the head back Friday, put it in the bike and it struggled to start. Once started it runs great. I had FastHeads shim it before they sent it, worth the extra money to be able to bolt it up.

I haven't owned a CRF250R so I have never jetted one. If I go through and twist the throttle 3 times and kick it with no throttle, it will fire after 3-4 kicks. That doesn't cut it for me. I like first or second kick at most. Does anyone have any experience where I should be for jetting at this altitude for a starting point? I'm going to pull the carb out and see whats in it but I would like an idea of where you have had success unless that is how these Hondas start.

Thanks

Gawynz

I've rebuild a few of these Honda engines (2007 CRF250R, 2005 CRF450R, 2008 CRF450R) and they should definitely start easier than what you described. Verifying valve clearances are within spec, cleaning the carb and intake, and properly jetting the bike for altitude will make a big difference. If the kid got the owners manual with the bike there should be a section with a jetting table for various altitudes and temperatures. If not, google search "2007 honda crf250r owner's manual" and the first link should be a PDF of that manual (at least on my computer it is). Page 124 of the manual has the table I'm referring too (I've attached it to this post) and this section gives a pretty good description of breakdown, cleaning, jetting... I would do exactly as you said, pull it apart, clean it up, see how it's currently jetted, then use the manual and go from there.

Attachments

• 2007 CRF250R Jetting Table.JPG
    2007 CRF250R Jetting Table.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 5

rholbrook

Update

I figured it had the stock 42 pilot in it so I bought a 45 and took it apart to find a 42. The air screw was out 3 1/2 turns as well. I put the 45 in and put the air screw back in to 1 3/4 turns, out it back together and it fired right up. There can still be some fine tuning but first kick it fires now.