'Cruiser Building Q's and stuff

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
One of my friends and I have the chance to build a 'Cruiser for wheelin duty. Neither of us has had the chance to sit down with the owner, so we don't know what his wants/needs are. What I am intrested in, is what to look for when building a FJ. Between my friend and I, we both have built Jeeps, Broncos, Toyota p/u's, etc, but neither of us have played with TLC's. The extent of the buildup depends on $$$ firstoff, and the owners expectations of capability once its done, secondly.

I have 3 levels of capability in mind and the general mods-

#1- Streetable & Wheel-able.
Stock Drivetrain, 2.5" springs, Shackle Lift & SRS, rear Dertoit. 33" Tires. *Driveable to Moab*

#2- More or less streetable, Surefooted Offroad.
Carbed 350, TH350, Stock T-Case, original axles w/ 4.10's, Detroit rear, Lock Rite front, Springover on stock springs or sprungunder w/ OME springs. 35" Tires. *Driveable to Moab*

#3- Full On Rockcrawler, not seeing too many street miles.
TBI or TPI 350, TH350 or 700r4, Dana 300, Dana 60's or 14 Bolt w/ 4.56's, F & R Detroits, SOA w/ 2.5" Springs, ETC!!! 37" Boggers or 38" TSL's. *Better buy a Tow Rig!*

So thats a breakdown of my ideas. Theres much more to each one, but just for idea sake I kept the lists short. I read on POR that a proper SOA on a TLC w/ stock axles will need to have the knuckles rotated. I guess its true? Once again, the finished product will depend on the owners wallet thickness. If you have any feedback regarding TLC's, lets hear it! It's more likely we'll end up in the middle of the road, rather than an All Out 4x4. But I wouldn't mind playing with unlimited $$$$!:D TIA, Greg

MattL

DUDE!!!! You for got the most important thing.. What color??

he he.. just kidding, I'm just being a smart arse.. If you have to oppertunity to build it does that mean you have the oppertunity to test it out as well? Do you have a budget??
Go full bore!!

Parker

Be a friend and tell the owner to grab his wallet and run as fast as he can!! :p :p :D ;)

What year cruuzer does the owner have?

Make sure he has disc brakes on his frnt end. All drum brake cruuzer frnt ends have course splined breakfields that shatter if you even think about putting it in 4 wheel drive. I think 73 (or was it 74) was the first year for discs and the stronger birfs.

If you do an SOA you will have to cut and turn the knuckles. :( Keep it as low as possible... use sawzall whenever possible. I currently have flat springs (no lift) SOA and I have plenty of room for my big meats and it is very stable. Also, you can gain about 8" of wheelbase by flipping both front and rear springs. (definitely recommend doing this) Make sure to add a traction bar on the rear axle as you will get tonz of wrap and the cruuzer pinions are notorious for breakage.

Saginaw p/s is an easy mod. Fits very well in the front left frame rail. Make sure and box the frame. I used to get a hell of a lot of frame flex on my rig until I boxed mine. I've seen some cruuzers with huge cracks that never did completely box theirs.

If you're interested... I know someone (...ME...) that has an adapter for an sm420 to toyota 3spd case that will let it go for cheap. ;) (Also have two 3spd cases for that matter) Bolt it up to an sm420 and walla... you're 70 to 1.

Hope some of this helps... you're going to have fun. I say opt for option # 3!!!

Last edited: