Curious about Toyota 3.0L engines...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We just bought another hooptymobile for the teenage driver in our house. We ran across two 4runners that were interesting until we started them up. Both had a fairly strong coolant smell immediately after startup. I remembered hearing about 3.0l being an issue. What is the issue? Head gasket? Hard to fix? Expensive to fix due to warped heads ?

we ended up buying a ZJ with 4.0L. Same color and almost same options as the one we sold four years ago that we had put 150k miles on. Just curious about the Toyota 3.0L

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Head gaskets can be an issue, and valve problems. Working on that motor is a PITA due to limited access to anything--pulling the intake plenum off is required for just about everything, and there are approximately 13,000 vacuum hoses and junk on there.

That said, my '94 4Runner keeps running. 240K, and only one new engine! (and then new headgaskets on the replacement engine)

littlyota

The 3.0 is pretty simple once you get some stuff out of the way and take pictures or label all the vacuum lines. Mine has about 220k on it.

With that said. I would not buy another one on purpose. 4cyl horsepower with V8 gas mileage. They call it 3.slow for a reason.

Karnage Fab

ive hauled 5 of them off to the crusher, that is the worst motor Toyota ever put into a vehicle. ive swapper a few 22res into them for more power and reliability, and my current one is running a taco 3rz. the 4runner would make a good home for the awesome 3.4 out of a 96+ taco

O'neal

?????????
All toyota engines are gutless,even the 3.4.... I have heard the 3.0 headgasket problem is due to the exhaust being to close to the problem cyl.I doubt the RE has more power at a measly 115hp fresh as the 3.0 runs around 130-140.Back in the day I had a 95runner with the 3.0 with 150k and it run great with reasonable get up and go and got decent mileage with no problems.As with any engine,maintenance is key to surviving a long life.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
All toyota engines are gutless,even the 3.4.... I have heard the 3.0 headgasket problem is due to the exhaust being to close to the problem cyl.I doubt the RE has more power at a measly 115hp fresh as the 3.0 runs around 130-140.Back in the day I had a 95runner with the 3.0 with 150k and it run great with reasonable get up and go and got decent mileage with no problems.As with any engine,maintenance is key to surviving a long life.

The factory crossover runs too close to the head right near cylinder 6, is how I understand it. Something about Toyota not being able to use an asbestos gasket like they wanted to, and the replacement not being as good.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I always recommend spending a little more for the 96+ model with the 3.4 and forget the 3.0 altogether. Not only do you get a much more reliable/powerful engine you get much better front suspension/steering. A little more cost up front but it pays off in the long run including re-sale.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I've got one 4runner with the 3.0 and so far everything has been working smooth on it. It actually feels like it has plenty of power on and off road. I've had it about 3 years or so, no coolant ell whatsoever. And I have taken off the intake manifold and worked on it before. Although the first time was a pita, once you know the vacuums it's a 15 min process to remove the upper intake.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Tundra motors are decent. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Tacoma's 4.0L...

O'neal

?????????
Tundra motors are decent. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Tacoma's 4.0L...

Never drove a new tundra with the 5.7 but owned a '02 with the 4.7 and was impressed.Own a 2012 4dr taco with the 4.0 now and this truck amazes the hell out of me from loading the zuk on a car hauler for a trip to moab and grand junction without a hitch running the speed limit down and back(no diesel or a gasser V8 by any means)but for a little V6 it pulled great.Also seems to wheel better than the zuk but need to replace all the skid plates underneath from a recent trip to shoshone lake up by lander here in wyo....