Jeep CV axle replacement

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Mine have been deteriorating over some time and now the clunking and banging has come to a peak.

The dealer verified that the noise I'm hearing is indeed the excessive play in the axles and they require replacement....... to the tune of $1200 P&L. I am currently out of work so I would like to tackle the job and save the labor costs (so I can pay rent and stuff). I have done some research on the issue and figured out the tools and steps required to do the job.

Any experts out there in RME land help a new in town (see no friends) enthusiast with advice or assistance? I plan to order the parts from NAPA and pick up and tools I don't currently have.

I've got mad 12V skillz so I could help anyone with wiring of an alarm or stereo or lights in exchange. Unfortunately, my automotive background doesn't do me any good in this case.

MY rig is a 2006 KJ CRD

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Everyone tells me it's pretty straight forward. I've just never done it before. I am going to order the parts from NAPA later today. Chances are, they will have to order the axles since the diesel is different than the gassers.

Once I have the parts in hand, I will make a game plan. I have friends coming in from out of state and I promised them I would take them around MOAB. They start arriving on 7/17 so the goal is to be ship shape before then.

Since I'm not working right now, I can work around anyone's schedule that's willing to lend a hand and/or guidance.

chans

I have done a bunch of Toyotas but no Jeeps. Are the axles bolted to the diff like Chevys or are they held in by a clip like imports? I have a 250lb torque wrench you can use for the axle nut and a couple different axle nut sockets if you don't have them and both types of CV boot clamp pliers if you have to assemble the boots.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Thanks to the German influence, a lot of what holds my Jeep together (including the Euro CRD engine) is more like foreign engineering than domestic. So I have to deal with the clips. One of my buddies over at ARA is going to help me next weekend so you're all off the hook!

I paid $64 and $72 for the axles (reman) over at NAPA. The dealer wanted $300 per side plus labor.

Ironically, back in 1989 when my CVs in my 1987 Hyundai went, it was the same price of R&R as I was quoted 20 years later: $1200.

So if labor rates have not changed in 20 years but cost of living and doing business has, how does one survive as a mechanic these days?

Toad

1200 bucks good hell I just checked the flat rate on that job It is only 1.7 hours to do both of them. So even if the dealer was a 100 bucks an hour that still should only be $770.00 parts and labor. If your were here in Logan id give ya a hand. Axles should be a piece of cake though.