Damn Mud!!

Nagrom

I recently went muddin w/ my stock cherokee... :rolleyes: . Anyway Now it is not shifting until 4500 RPM and has a sparatic idle even dies sometimes. I know its not my tranny cause I checked it and it did'nt have any water in it, plus I had it flushed after these problems. I have a 4.0L I6 Auto tranny. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to remedy this it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Kickdown cable somehow jammed all the way in?
Yeah, maybe a rock or some weeds caught between your cam lever just off the trans case? Go wash it off really good and make a real close inspection.

Nagrom

Hickey said:
Yeah, maybe a rock or some weeds caught between your cam lever just off the trans case? Go wash it off really good and make a real close inspection.
Will do, Is the kick down cable located down by the transfer case? cause I have a cable connected to my throttle body (1 of 3 anyway) that was disconnected. I re-connected it however did'nt know what tension level to adjust it to?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nagrom said:
cause I have a cable connected to my throttle body (1 of 3 anyway) that was disconnected. I re-connected it however did'nt know what tension level to adjust it to?
That may be your problem. Your kickdown cable is connected to your transmission and your throttle body. It tells your tranny when to shift based on throttle position. this is why a car will shift at a higher RPM when you mash on the pedal. It is also what makes your car shift down when you mash the gas.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nagrom said:
Will do, Is the kick down cable located down by the transfer case? cause I have a cable connected to my throttle body (1 of 3 anyway) that was disconnected. I re-connected it however did'nt know what tension level to adjust it to?
Yup, the kickdown cable goes from your throttle body to your tranny. Sounds like that's the problem. You'll need to find the other end of the cable on the tranny and adjust it so the lever moves from all the way closed to all the way open with the gas peddle.

Nagrom

Also could water in my intake have damaged my mass air flow sensor, or my O2 sensor? Maybe I'll give it a full tune up and replace my plugs and Cap. Etc.
Thanks for the Help I'll give it a good scrub down. Any tips as to the best way to wash out the engine? Im a little afraid of water now. :eek:

Nagrom

Sorry... one more question, Is it possibile that a faulty alternator coud cause all these problems? because my "GEN" light is on now and my battery is reading very low. I had access to a tester but I don't know how to use it to well. My battery read 12.74 volts but I think my alternator is dead. also I did check my kick down cable and it seemed to be connected and working fine. But the shifting @ 4500rpm is intermittent, Sometimes it shifts fine which would lead me to believe it's an electrical problem? Maybe the mud was just a coincedence?
Gawd I dunno. :-\

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd spray that alternator out at the car wash. That's in the stupidest place possible, thanks AMC :rolleyes:. As you've learned, Cherokees DON'T like mud (at least mine).

The alternator might not be dead. My HO has a wire that charges the battery, that's been corroded beyond belief before. Once I replaced that wire, I've been good to go for the past 40K or so. The mud could have knocked that off the alternator or off the terminal on the battery post.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
a common misconception about transmissions is that problems can be fixed by flushing the tranny. This could not be further from the truth. putting fresh tranny fluid into a worn transmission can actually amplify the problems as the fresh addatives can erode valves and bands. I would venture to guess that you might have a bad 1-2 valve. I hgad this exact same problem in my old explorer. I changed the fluid and it ate what was left of the skirt on the valve making the problem worse. I took it to a buddy who I used to work for at his transmission shop and he explained to me how the chemistry of auto tranny fluid works. HE pulled a valve out of his parts department and told me to swap it out. the old one I pulled was trashed and the problem was solved.

I have a great tranny guy in riverdale...if you wanna travel!!

Nagrom

I tested my alternator and it did show it was bad, or at least not charging the battery. Is it possible it could be affecting my TPS? Gawd only in a jeep :redneck:

gcb17

Nagrom said:
I tested my alternator and it did show it was bad, or at least not charging the battery. Is it possible it could be affecting my TPS? Gawd only in a jeep :redneck:
a bad alternator can cause all sorts of weird **** to happen. replace it, since it is obviously bad. fix one problem at a time...

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Nagrom said:
Will do, What about getting a higher amperage one? Is their anything else I need to replace if I decide to?

need a heftier voltage regulator if the new alternator doesn't come with one