dana 300 in tj - not flipped -

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I want to put a dana 300 in my tj and want to use chevy axles. Has anyone on here done this? If so what problems can I expect? Do I need a new custom skidplat or will it fit with a stock one? Any inf or sources would be great.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
is there anything on the passenger side of the frame that would be in the way?

I think it would be worth building a custom crossmember.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
James K said:
is there anything on the passenger side of the frame that would be in the way?

I think it would be worth building a custom crossmember.

I think that he's going to have a problem with the exhaust, since it's routed down that side of the frame. If the 231 was flipped over, I know you couldn't have your exhaust on that side.

:sick:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You would just re-route the exhaist straight back. You will need to hack up your pass side floor to make it work, but you might be able to keep the stock skid plate.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Brett said:
I think that he's going to have a problem with the exhaust, since it's routed down that side of the frame. If the 231 was flipped over, I know you couldn't have your exhaust on that side.

:sick:
does the exhaust wrap around the front of the motor and go down the passenger side?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
James K said:
does the exhaust wrap around the front of the motor and go down the passenger side?

Comes off the driver side, around the back of the motor and down the passenger side of the drivetrain.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Badcop said:
Comes off the driver side, around the back of the motor and down the passenger side of the drivetrain.
I see.

is there room for the exhaust down the driver side, if the transfer case isn't in the way?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
James K said:
why? is it offset to the driver side?

I don't think that they are offset, but I could be wrong. Another problem with running it out the left side is that the track bar is connected on the axle on that side. It would probably hit the exhaust when the suspension is cycling.

Caleb

you could just cross the exhaust back over in front of the gas tank (above the d-line), making it exit out in the stock location.

jrpcinders

dana 300

You should go to Pirate board and look up the dana 300 flip. There is one guy on there who took a clocking ring and then made his own flip kit and tells you how he did it. I am going to try it out this winter and i will tell you how it went and will try to include pictures. Others have done what he has and they have said that it works. You could buy the flip kit though but I think it is around eight hundred for it. You should look into that before hacking the floor of you tj.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I figured the exhaust would get in the way. I need a new exhaust anyway. Why would the fuel lines matter? I don't want to flip the dana 300. I want to use chevy axles.

Caleb

Hickey said:
A simple metal sheild could cover the lines.

depending on how close the exhaust actually runs to the frame rail you may not even need that. It is something to consider BUT its not a huge issue as I am pretty sure there's plenty of room down that side.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Hickey said:
A simple metal sheild could cover the lines.
True... But you would have to run it practically the entire length - what 4' or so? It would be easier to just fix the t-case issue to keep the exhaust where it's at now.