Dana 300 Strength

kobyhud

Lurker
I would like some opinions about dana300 strength.

Obviously an atlas is stronger.. but what is the relative breaking point of a stock dana300?

After the output and input shafts have been upgraded?

I ask because it isn't cheap to rebuild a dana300 properly in parts and it can be expensive to adapt a dana300 into something where with an atlas you buy new and don't ever have to adapt. I have a dana300 with 4:1 that needs rebuilding... to get it into good running order is going to be like 300-400 bucks in shafts and seals and parts... plus I have to adapt it to a 700r4... which is another 400 bones... that makes the grand total about 800 bones... An atlas is selling on this board for 1900. Once the dana300 has been upgraded and fixed how much weaker is it?

Last edited:

Caleb

I know this doesn't help much but this is an Altas vs. D300 gear comparison ;)

Attachments

• atlasgears.jpg
    atlasgears.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 10

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have ran dana 300's for years behind a 350 with over 300 hp and have never had a problem. They are a nice stout little case. I have also asked the same question you are asking. If you can afford an Atlas that is the way to go, if not you might be stuck with what you have.....like me.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Remember that an Atlas does NOT bolt to everything just with the base price. Many times adapters need to be included into the price of the Atlas to mate various setups. Just a heads up before you drop some coin just to find out you still need an adapter... ;)

kobyhud

Lurker
My understanding is that an atlas can be directly adapted to a 700r4... only an output shaft out of the 700r4 change may be necessary for strength reasons.

Is that correct?

No doubt that the Dana 300 is stout, nothing wrong with using one of those and the option of the 4.1 gear set and the twin stick capabilities. With the cost of building the 300 vs purchasing the Atlas, you'll have some money left over for some other mods. If you have the cash handy, there is nothing wrong with the Atlas. But on a budget and wanting a stout t-case ya can't go wrong with it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
kobyhud said:
My understanding is that an atlas can be directly adapted to a 700r4... only an output shaft out of the 700r4 change may be necessary for strength reasons.

Is that correct?

I can't speak for the output shaft of the auto but I put a Novak input shaft (27 spline) into my D300 instead of swapping tranny outputs. I'd rather crack the t-case open than the auto.

I'm sure you can order an Atlas with a 27 spline input (or 21, or 23 or 32 or ???).

I'm using a D300 based on what I've seen on the trail (Shawn's healthy small block being one). I don't know that they are the best option out there, but they're definitely not a bad one.

Caleb

Zukimog said:
No doubt that the Dana 300 is stout, nothing wrong with using one of those and the option of the 4.1 gear set and the twin stick capabilities. With the cost of building the 300 vs purchasing the Atlas, you'll have some money left over for some other mods. If you have the cash handy, there is nothing wrong with the Atlas. But on a budget and wanting a stout t-case ya can't go wrong with it.

$200-$300 for the Dana 300
$600-$800 (or more) for the 4:1
$200-$500 for any adapters
$200-$600 (or more) for input and output upgrades

If I was spending that kind of money I think I'd pony up a little more for the Atlas. Of course there are different cases where you may already have a D300 or you already have some of the other parts or you don't need some of the parts or where you can slowly build your D300 so it's not as much all at once. Point is though, when its all said and done building a kickass D300 you could have nearly had an Atlas (that will still be stronger). The Dana 300 is a very cool t-case and I have thought about using one in my next build several times but ultimately I think I will end up with the Atlas instead.

Supergper said:
$200-$300 for the Dana 300
Or quite less. :D Free to $50 bucks I have seen people getting them for. There's no doubt that the Atlas is a better case, but even at the $1200 you still could be saving close to $1100. :D

I'm thinking going to the 3.8 or 4.3 Atlas myself :D

Caleb

Zukimog said:
Or quite less. :D Free to $50 bucks I have seen people getting them for. There's no doubt that the Atlas is a better case, but even at the $1200 you still could be saving close to $1100. :D

I'm thinking going to the 3.8 or 4.3 Atlas myself :D

K-next time you see one for Free-$50 let me know, I'll be all over it ;)

kobyhud

Lurker
STAK boxes would require an adapter same as the 300. that throws the budget to like 3300 for a STAK.... vast difference from what I have seen on the atlas not to say it aint cool...

BigRubba

I've been running one for a long time behind the drive shaft destroying, DOM shredding 35 spline shaft splintering Jeep 4.0 :bow: and the stock case still dont break before the axle shaft's do.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I've got a stock (minus the twin stick) D300 behind a bored out 360 and T400 with 37s and I've never had any problem at all out it. For me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or replace it with an Atlas).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I guess my experience is different than most here.....I still think the D300 is a good 'case, but I broke one behind a TBI 4.3. I had stock gears, a 32 spline rear output, and I broke the intermediate gear.

Might have been an anomaly, or I might just have a weird talent for busting Tcases.....

fergusor

kobyhud said:
STAK boxes would require an adapter same as the 300. that throws the budget to like 3300 for a STAK.... vast difference from what I have seen on the atlas not to say it aint cool...

I still would have to have an adapter either way and I didnt pay that

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I Lean said:
...I still think the D300 is a good 'case, but I broke one behind a TBI 4.3. I had stock gears, a 32 spline rear output, and I broke the intermediate gear...

I was trying to remember what broke, a do remember a long night in the parking lot putting it all back togehter :cool: