Dana 44 and 60 hub socket?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Hi all.
Just wondering what size socket with the pins I needed for a 3/4 ton Ford DANA 44 front axle(hopefully only one type) and a Warn FF rear axle hub for a FJ40, It has DANA 60 locking hubs?
Im going through both and I need the sockets, Any good places to buy, I stopped by Checker, They had a few.
Thanks for any info

***EDITED info***
DANA 60 rear socket 2.5" 4 pin, part# 642477
DANA 44 front socket 2.25" 4 pin, part# 648074
1779973535_34693f2e53_b.jpg

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well..... just head back to Checker, and get them both. The 60 socket is like 1/2" bigger or so than the 44 socket.

I can't remember the sizes though. :(

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Well..... just head back to Checker, and get them both. The 60 socket is like 1/2" bigger or so than the 44 socket.

I can't remember the sizes though. :(

Thanks for the thought.
Checker had about 8 different sizes and pin count, Thats why I thought to ask here to see what everyone else thought.
Funny thing is the lady working at Checker said "If you could bring it in, We could figure it out" Uh...duh, but thats why Im here to get a tool, So I can get it off ......
Thanks again :)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Both should be 4 pin, 60 being the bigger diameter. some sockets have the pins sticking out the end, others have them inside the socket....I prefer the second type, easier to use....
All those others are for frt wheel drive cars, gm and sterling rear ends, and other stuff....

Edit, go steall JC's He isn't using them :)
Or swing by and barrow mine....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My stuff I put the same nut kit on the rear as on the front, that way I only need one tool. ;) I know that doesn't help you... Napa is where I buy my spindle sockets.

To get the nut off, you can always use a BFH and a chisel. Put the chisel on the nut, hit it with the BFH to spin the nut. Works very well, and if you don't let the chisel, chisel away the nut, you can re-use it :cool:

Even for the 'nut' style ones, Napa has a lot of different sizes in stock. The other places, Checker and Autozone, had no clue what I was even talking about. Both places took me back over to their tool section and started aimlessly looking. "Ugh, I already looked here and didn't see one" "well, they gotta be here, cuz this is where all our tools are" "so you don't have htem then" "duh, I dunno, will this work <showing me a 1" socket>" "no, like I said before, it was about 2-3/8" "oh"

I also couldn't find them at Harbor Freight, which surprised me... I figured they would have had a spindle nut 'kit' with a bunch of different styles BUT the one I needed ;)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Thanks for all the thoughts and offers.
I figured out I needed a 2.5" hub socket for the rear which is the Warn FF kit, I bought the type with the pins on the inside. Checker sold them for $20.00
Once I get around to the front I will buy that one as well, I feel its a tool I should have, Just in case.
BTW Mark, Say hi to Angie, Hope she is doing well :)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Just thought I would update this, In case someone else needed the info.
The dana 44 front socket is a 2.25" 4 pin and it was about $20.00 from checker.
I will update the first post as well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Cool, that works.

I"ve always used a big screwdriver and a hammer to spin them off...

Any part numbers so other people don't have to pull their hair out dealing w/the Checker "help"???? :D