Davis Co. property taxes gone wild!

DAA

Supporting Member
So... Have any of you ever appealed the assessed value of your home for property taxes?

The County Assessor says the value of my home has risen about SIXTY FREAKING PERCENT since last year! Which of course means that my property taxes have increased 60% over last year. That's insane. Not plausible. Has to be total BUL CRAP. Etc., etc.

Just my saying so isn't going to be good enough though... Reading the docs that came with the tax notice, it looks like I'm either going to have to pay for an appraisal - which I'm more than willing to do if a drive by will suffice. Or, I need to get ahold of some good comps and submit them myself. Which, I need someone with MLS access to help me out with (agent or appraiser).

I think an appraisal would carry more weight, but, if the comps are good enough, I don't see how they could be denied, either.

Anyone done this? How did you go about it?

Thanks!

- DAA

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Davis county has a long history of under taxing homes. The last big hike they did (4yrs ago?) We found homes were still under their actual value. I imagine they probably still are. Here is your average home price for davis county, first quarter since 2006

home_sales_graphs_chart.png

obviously each price range will have it's own statistic..
For example, really expensive homes in eagle ridge are now worth about 25% of what they were Yesterday morning :D

DAA

Supporting Member
I was hoping you'd reply Jeeper.

That graph shows the biggest year to year run ups being in the 30% range - and that was the last year of the big bubble run up in '07. And for '13 to '14 it's showing an increase from $199K to $212K. The Assessor says my house went from $199K to $320K from '13 to '14. That just doesn't even come close to passing a basic sniff test, does it?

- DAA

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time

That graph shows the biggest year to year run ups being in the 30% range - and that was the last year of the big bubble run up in '07. And for '13 to '14 it's showing an increase from $199K to $212K. The Assessor says my house went from $199K to $320K from '13 to '14. That just doesn't even come close to passing a basic sniff test, does it?

- DAA

That is a large jump, and crosses a couple major value mile stones.. pm me your address, i'll see what I can find.

Troop92

I'm in Davis Co as well, have been in our home for 5 years now. This year our home stayed about the same value wise and even dropped a few dollars from prop tax. That said, you're not alone in this -- I have family in Centerville and theirs spiked the same as yours, as did most of their cul-de-sac. The road behind them (up the hill, just as nice) though - nothing.

Seems a bit suspect.

DAA

Supporting Member
I'm out on the mud flats in the mosquito breeding habitat. The beautiful people on the hill in Centerville can't even quite make us out when they look down on us :D.

- DAA

Troop92

I'm out on the mud flats in the mosquito breeding habitat. The beautiful people on the hill in Centerville can't even quite make us out when they look down on us :D.

- DAA

Haha. They've been there forever, back before eastside Centerville was the place to be. And I've never considered my uncle beautiful... :D

idahoyj

- DAA

Sell while it's high!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'm appealing mine. especially since when i bought my house in October it appraised at $212K. They said its now worth $224K. I think not!

If it rose that much, why the hell am I still paying mortgage insurance?

The only thing I've done to my house is plant some flowers out front and put a bunch of oil stains on the driveway. If that's how I raise the value, I think I'll start dumping diesel oil all over.

EDIT:

Just looked at my notice.

2013 Market Value: $179,244

2014 Market Value: $224,055

That's an 80% jump in value. Holy sh*t, this is the best investment I've ever made.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I think part of the reason behind the spike is Davis County has been under bid on a few projects that are now costing them more money and they are trying to make up the funds somewhere else, one of the projects being the 400 east and Main street construction in Centerville/Bountiful. Ours increased as well but not as bad, about a $13k jump from last year.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm appealing mine. especially since when i bought my house in October it appraised at $212K. They said its now worth $224K. I think not!

If it rose that much, why the hell am I still paying mortgage insurance?

The only thing I've done to my house is plant some flowers out front and put a bunch of oil stains on the driveway. If that's how I raise the value, I think I'll start dumping diesel oil all over.

EDIT:

Just looked at my notice.

2013 Market Value: $179,244

2014 Market Value: $224,055

That's an 80% jump in value. Holy sh*t, this is the best investment I've ever made.

You've got your math backwards. That's a 25.01% increase.
$179,224 X 1.2501 = $225,055

Still not insignificant.
However, remember what the value is and someone (youself in this case) is willing to pay aren't usually the same.