Davis County Safety Inspections

dutchman

KI7KSV
Where do you guys in Davis County take your rigs for safety/emission inspections? I've made the mistake of going to Jiffy Lube in the past and I would like to find somewhere that isn't afraid of a modified rig. PM me if you'd rather not post the name of the place you go to. Thanks.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
This comes up a lot...one of those things where nobody is willing to burn their "4x4 friendly" shop.

My advice is to just make it legal, any time you ask a shop to overlook something you put their business on the line. Sure there are shops that overlook some stuff and I won't lie and say I've never taken advantage of that but it's best to make the needed changes to legitimately pass even if you are going to take it off later.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I agree with what you're saying. I'm not looking for a shop to overlook things on my rig. Currently my rig is street legal. I only ask bc I'm tired of the guys at jiffy and want a shop that is more comfortable with a modified rig.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Egan Auto in Kaysville won't overlook stuff, but they will sure inspect a modified rig for you. 801.444.0880. They have 2 locations in Kaysville. That is where I take mine.

sixstringsteve

I totally understand where you're coming from dutchman. For some stupid reason, my family always takes their cars to our local jiffy lube for safety & IM. I'm not sure if it's a lack of understanding the manual, or a desperate attempt to make a quick buck, but they have invented some pretty interesting "laws" that aren't in the manual. I still use Jiffy Lube for oil changes, but not for safety/IM.

It's kinda like trying to convert a street bike to a dirt bike at the DMV. I'm no expert, but I've studied the process, and I end up having to coach the employee there about what's required and what's not.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^^^ I agree! I'm so confused right now. We should probably start a thread to see who has their oil changed for them so we can determine who to lose respect for. Hahaha weird

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Stay far far away from Richard Rowe Automotive.
They failed my work van on ball joints, said both sides were bad. I asked them to show me. Turns out one side was an advise and the other side was brand new, I can only assume they were trying to get some labor hours

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
One of the main reasons to go to the Just Emissions places is because they make ZERO money on customers aside from the occasional light bulb, they may do wipers but can't remember.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
^^^ I agree! I'm so confused right now. We should probably start a thread to see who has their oil changed for them so we can determine who to lose respect for. Hahaha weird

Sometimes I don't do the oil changes on my wife's car. It's kinda like U-joints for me, I'd rather pay someone else like six states 25 bucks or whatever it was the last time I had it done instead of work my ass off with a vise. I do the work of pulling the shaft or driveline and bringing it to them though.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Wal Mart does diesel oil changes for cheaper than I can buy oil and a filter. And they will use Rotella if you request. And then I dont have 2 gallons of used oil to mess with.

As far as Safety and Inspections in Davis Co....

I take all my stuff to Dee's Service in Clearfield. He has been there forever and is a really good guy. He isnt scared of a modified rig but dont show up with beadlocks. He wont pass them.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Wal Mart does diesel oil changes for cheaper than I can buy oil and a filter. And they will use Rotella if you request. And then I dont have 2 gallons of used oil to mess with.

I take all my stuff to Dee's Service in Clearfield. He has been there forever and is a really good guy. He isnt scared of a modified rig but dont show up with beadlocks. He wont pass them.

You just reminded me that I have about half of a five gallon bucket of Rotella in my garage and no diesel to put it in. Not having to deal with the clean up is the best part about paying someone else to do it.

dutchman

KI7KSV

Thanks for recommending Dee's Service. They're close to my work and didn't have any issues inspecting my rig, although I did need mudflaps (kind of expected that). Good guys to work with!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with checking with Garth at Centerville Big O. As mentioned above, they can't pass anything illegal but will let you know what you need to do to make things work and work with you to make it right.