death wobble!!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
my truck gets death wobble and im freaking sick of it! its and 85 toy with high steer. ive gone throught and tightened every bolt i can imagen, my tie rods were bad so i relplaced those and now it seems to have gotten worse. so please any advice would be great!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
A) check your caster and toe.
B) check your trunnion bearings.
C) How are your shocks? Weak shocks can make it worse
D) steering stablilizer can mask the symptoms, maybe even enough to "cure" it. (but you should still find the cause if you can, cuz it's not going to get better by itself)

monobeam94

You should join my, P.O.S TOYOTA CLUB. I will e-mail you an application......
Get your tires balanced, it makes a huge difference.
I got my tires balanced and it stopped the death wobble, but I have knocked off most of the weights from rocks and now I have death wobble again.

leorn

reset
option...

2 words: hydraulic assist.
This will fix whatever it is that is really wrong
biggrin.gif

The death wobble in my 85 4runner was due to loose front shackle bolts. You should find out what is really wrong, but hydro assist will fix ya permanently.

Meat_

Banned
biggrin.gif

The death wobble in my 85 4runner was due to loose front shackle bolts. You should find out what is really wrong, but hydro assist will fix ya permanently.

You can still death wobble with assist

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
biggrin.gif

why does your 4runner have front shackle bolts? it shouldn't have front shackles at all...

-Jason

leorn

reset
You can still death wobble with assist
I stand corrected. I have not had it since I installed mine, and others have experienced the same. I even increased tire size 5 inches, and it has not returned. For death wobble it functions similar to a steering stabilizer.

why does your 4runner have front shackle bolts? it shouldn't have front shackles at all...
-Jason
You don't run a shackle with your leafs??? Tough to flex without them. Sorry I couldn't resist. No I haven't done a shackle reversal if that's what your implying.

Meat_

Banned
I stand corrected. I have not had it since I installed mine, and others have experienced the same. I even increased tire size 5 inches, and it has not returned. For death wobble it functions similar to a steering stabilizer....

An assist ram will knock the **** out of death wobble but you can still have bad TRE's ;)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You don't run a shackle with your leafs??? Tough to flex without them. Sorry I couldn't resist. No I haven't done a shackle reversal if that's what your implying.

when i read that you said front shackle... i was thinking you meant literally a front shackle.. as in, in the front of the front spring... my brain is overly fantastical like that sometimes...

leorn

reset
I knew you did. just givin ya a hard time.
I do want to emphasize. Fix whatever is causing death wobble BEFORE you get hydro. (if you choose to get it) I still check my shackle bolts each run, I just don't have any warning sign that they are loose now.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
it tracks perfectly straight and the tires wear fine so i dont think its a caster or toe problem but my leaf spring bushings look like crap so ill try replacing those.

as for the pos toy club... check out mountainyoats.com we got you covered..