decided to learn how to use soldering gun

airmanwilliams

So with getting into led's more and more and picking up more projects it was suggested that I quit using butt connectors and learn to solder. This morning I went up to Harbor Freight up on State Street up in Orem and decided to get a cheap 180 Watt Chicago Soldering gun to learn with. Today I will be on the hunt for some good youtube soldering videos and will head down to the basement to gather wire and setup a table to practice and learn.

I see now after opening this and looking up reviews that I should have done that before buying it but since it is open I will use it to learn with but need to find a good gun with good reviews. Does anyone have a good soldering gun brand and model you might suggest I look up and check into buying?

Attachments

• IMG_20140205_094849.jpg
    IMG_20140205_094849.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 7

sixstringsteve

There's a big difference between a soldering gun and a soldering iron. For most of your projects, you're going to want a soldering iron. A cheap $10 HF or Radio Shack one will be fine for now. I also recommend using real lead solder.

A soldering gun is for bigger wires and heat-sinks when soldering. A soldering iron is better for small wires. With all things tools, you get what you pay for.

I used a $15 radio shack cheapie for quite a few years before upgrading to my Weller WESD51. The weller is night and day better, but as a beginner, I'm not sure I would have appreciated the differences at first.

Here's a great soldering iron for a great price. I paid a lot more than this for mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO

airmanwilliams

There's a big difference between a soldering gun and a soldering iron. For most of your projects, you're going to want a soldering iron. A cheap $10 HF or Radio Shack one will be fine for now. I also recommend using real lead solder.

A soldering gun is for bigger wires and heat-sinks when soldering. A soldering iron is better for small wires. With all things tools, you get what you pay for.

I used a $15 radio shack cheapie for quite a few years before upgrading to my Weller WESD51. The weller is night and day better, but as a beginner, I'm not sure I would have appreciated the differences at first.

Here's a great soldering iron for a great price. I paid a lot more than this for mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO

Thank you steve. I may go back for a cheap iron later today and will look into that Weller iron once I learn more and pick up more projects. I am also looking into this Weller gun a friend uses http://www.amazon.com/Weller-D650PK-Industrial-Soldering-Gun/dp/B000TDGI18

Main concern has been on the spotlight projects I have been doing the last week and many customers dont have a big issue with the heatshrink butt connectors under the heat shrink tubing I have used to cover up but suggest soldering to give a cleaner non bulky look to the light wiring.

Attachments

• 1119792_10153823844090193_1495158831_o.jpg
    1119792_10153823844090193_1495158831_o.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 12

sixstringsteve

Also, a proper solder joint is far stronger than any butt connector. Heat shrink is definitely the way to go, I love it.

sixstringsteve

a de-soldering braid is a copper band that absorbs solder. So if you messed up, or put too much solder on something, or want to remove solder from a joint, the de-soldering braid will soak up the extra solder, and even completely remove it from your wires if you want.

[video=youtube;j-_pnc-Qqm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_pnc-Qqm8[/video]

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I buy alot of butt connectors that dont have the bulky plastic shielding on them then I just heat shrink it the connectors are usually the same size as the outer wire sheath anyways so no bulky look at all

The smaller electronics you get to working on, the better soldering iron you will appreciate. My personal preference is Hakko. Kindof like the Snap-On of soldering irons. They have adjustable heat output and lots of interchangeable tips in different sizes. I have an older non-digital version like this one. Kimco is a great place to buy from if you want to get one online. For a gun, you can't beat a weller. I have one handed down to me from my grandpa and it still works great with a new tip every now and then. As has been stated, just use the gun for wires and larger stuff - generally go to the iron for components.

D

Deleted member 12904

So I have been in the professional Audio Video business for over 13 years and have spent literally several days in a row soldering on XLR connectors and din connectors. For small wire these are my crimp connectors of choice. Get the blue ones for applications in the elements. http://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-DC-100P-Super-Connector-Pcs/dp/B000JP7FIQ

But like others have said ditch the gun they suck and leave little control. I like a 15 watt iron as the 30 watt get to hot. Tin both ends and take your time.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
here's a little more advice, stagger your splices if you have multiple wires, that way you wont have a bulge where you spliced a bunch of wires together, if you stagger them, solder and heat shrink it looks really clean

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I'll agree with others about a cheap Radio Shack iron being better than that gun (for the record, I have that gun too, and its good for heating larger items...). At work I use Hakko, Pace and other high end solder staions, do some resistance soldering and have a solder pot. I also use butane powered irons in the field where there just isn't electricity. Depending on intended use, we use regular heat shrink or a sealing type to keep moisture out of the connections. If I ever learn to keep my workbench clear, I will look at that Weller station for home use.

Best advice is to practice. Not too much heat into what you are soldering, if the insulation is melting back, then you are keeping the iron on too long. Keep a clean, tinned tip and wipe it frequently.

Keep a clean, tinned tip and wipe it frequently.

This makes a huge difference on the effectiveness of your iron/gun. I believe it also affects how long the tips last. I'll expand in case you are not sure what to do. If you don't have a soldering station with cleaning stuff built in, some copper mesh (like a chore girl, if they still use that politically incorrect name) to clean clumps off and then a damp sponge to finish it off. The tip should be nice and shiny silver with no clumps/black spots/crap on it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
My iron always has clumps stuck to it and it's all brown tar'ish looking. And I suck at soldering. Maybe that's why I can never get anything done with it. I always think soldering is an art and I've wanted to learn too but the condition of my equipment discourages me lol